Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

VeloSwapping: what suspension frames to avoid when buying used

694 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Clutchman83 
#1 ·
I'm going to the Denver VeloSwap in about 10 days with the intent of getting the most for my money (~$800) on a quality full suspension bike. I did this about 6 years ago and came back with a very nice (XTR-equipped) Specialized FSR Stumpjumper and would like to do as well again. I'm pretty good at judging component quality and overall condition of a bike, but I'm largely clueless when it comes to suspension design, and even shock make quality (I'm a bit better with respect to suspension forks). I've tried to research bikes and establish a reputation with respect to the suspension design, but the evolution of suspension has me worried about picking out a bike that might be 4 or 5 years old. So...can people list suspension frames to stay away from when buying used older models (make and model, I can't reliably distinguish a 4-bar linkage from a DW-link, etc.).

Thanks!

#2 ·
Don't buy anything Motobecane, Ibex, or specifically Iron Horse that doesn't have a DW link rear end. DW link Iron horse stuff is legit but the rest of their lineup was pretty crummy. I can't think of any other relatively mainstream manufacturer bikes that had issues. Anything made in the last 5 years shouldn't have any glaring suspension problems from a design perspective. As far as shocks go it's a crapshoot though. I'd recommend staying away from Manitou SPV shocks specifically, though some of the swinger models seem to be okay. It really depends on what level of performance you're expecting for your $$$ to be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.