Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Vanilla R rebuild necessary?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Trajan 
#1 ·
I have a '01 Kona Stinky with a Fox Vanilla R rear shock. I've ridden this bike fairly hard for three years now, and I'm spending some money on fixing it up. What I am curious about is whether or not it would be worth my money to send in the rear shock for a rebuild. I am not having any problems, but since it's kind of old I wonder if it would benefit (ride nicer or more lively) from a rebuild. Any opinions are appreciated!

Greg

#2 ·
Get a new one....

You could do one of three things:

1. Get a newer (used) Vanilla R for cheap. You can find these all the time on mtbr or ebay, etc.
2. Buy a new or used Romic for ~$250. Again, these are all over the place. This is a far superior shock to your Vanilla R.
3. Get your shock revalved by Push Industries. I've done this, but I have a Vanilla RC so I think it's a better candidate for revalving because of the compression dampening that it has.

My recommendation. Pick up a Romic or buy a totally played Vanilla RC (and get it revalved/overhauled by Push). www.pushindustries.com

EB

#3 ·
gd7 said:
I have a '01 Kona Stinky with a Fox Vanilla R rear shock. I've ridden this bike fairly hard for three years now, and I'm spending some money on fixing it up. What I am curious about is whether or not it would be worth my money to send in the rear shock for a rebuild. I am not having any problems, but since it's kind of old I wonder if it would benefit (ride nicer or more lively) from a rebuild. Any opinions are appreciated!

Greg
The fox vanilla R is a nice shock - depending on how you ride. After 3 years of hard ridding, it may be good to get it serviced. Push industries will do whatever you want to the shock. Otherwise, you can sell the shock on e-bay for $80-$100 and go buy a new vanilla R with pro-pedal for $200. That is what I would recommend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.