mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Upgrading Specialized Camber 29er Ario RL rear shock

So I have a 2011 Specialized Camber Elite 29er with a Ario RL rear shock
    that has been leaking. It looses about 20-30 psi a day, when not riding it.

It has been good for about 6 months, but then one morning, it was empty.

I found that the schrader valve has a bunch of dirt in it, so I removed it and cleaned it out
    as best that I could. I was able to repressure the shock but now it leaks slowly.

I will continue to work on it and try replaceing seals and see if I can get the leak to stop,
    but assuming it continues to leak, I'm considering upgrading to a new rear shock.

The current shocks geometry is 200x49mm, which is a hard size to find. I think it may be a custom size made for specialized. The Higher level Camber Comp or Pro have Fox Triad II with the same custom 200x49mm geometry.

What shocks should I consider to use as a replacement for an upgrade?

Will a Fox Float RP23 7.875"x2.25" (200mmx57mm) fit, or does it need to be exactly 200x49mm?

Thanks,

-Aaron

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'm having the same issue with my camber as well, sent the shock out for the 2nd time last night, good thing it's under warranty

7.875x2.0 is the size needed just by the math, I think 2.25" would be too much travel

Competent User
    I'm curious about the same thing, so I'm bumping this up. Anyone switched shocks? What works on these?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    7.875"x2.25" is what is on there, they just run a travel limiter to drop it to 49mm. My 2013 has almost 1/2 inch left on the shaft at bottom out. Going with a 7.875X2 is 50.8mm of travel so that may bump your travel up by 2-3mm. You can have a spacer put in buy a shock tuner but I don't think its needed. Clearance looks ok when I measure it with the shock out but CHECK IT FOR YOURSELF, Im just playing math games. Anyone looking for a CTD fox off a brand new 2013 carbon camber with auto sag? May have one up for grabs.
    Last edited by m-dub; 10-07-2012 at 10:23 PM.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronrryan View Post
    Will a Fox Float RP23 7.875"x2.25" (200mmx57mm) fit, or does it need to be exactly 200x49mm?
    200x57 and 200x50 shocks are in fact the same, the latter simply has a spacer fitted inside it to limit the travel.

If you're buying new you should be able to order in the exact stroke you want. If you're buying second hand it's a pretty simple job for a service centre to fit a spacer to a 200x57 shock.

Competent User
    Bumping this up. Does anyone have any specific information on this who has done it? What specifically can be done about upgrading the Ario rear shock?

If you buy an off the shelf shock, does it need to be tuned? I assume it does.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Am about to try Fox CTD kashima XV 200x57 in the next 7 days. Will let you know if it works but may need to put a spacer in the shock to reduce travel slightly.

Competent User

Upgrading Specialized Camber 29er Ario RL rear shock

Looking forward to the results. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kiteboardkid View Post
    Am about to try Fox CTD kashima XV 200x57 in the next 7 days. Will let you know if it works but may need to put a spacer in the shock to reduce travel slightly.
    Would be very interested in the result....I want this upgrade! Thx

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It worked a treat! Use an offset bush in the bottom shock eye to increase eye to eye length, this will stop the seat stay brace hitting the seat tube when using full travel.
    I now have 128mm rear and 140mm front end, this has also slackened my head angle to approx 69' maybe 68.5' :-))))

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It worked a treat! Use an offset bush in the bottom shock eye to increase eye to eye length, this will stop the seat stay brace hitting the seat tube when using full travel.
    I now have 128mm rear and 140mm front end, this has also slackened my head angle to approx 69' maybe 68.5' :-))))
    Offset bushing?? Where did you get this? Enduro fork seals has bushings, but don't know if they have an offset...hummm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Offset Rear Shock bushings

Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black View Post
    Offset bushing?? Where did you get this? Enduro fork seals has bushings, but don't know if they have an offset...hummm
    Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Looks good. Hope it works out long term.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for posting this info as this suspension upgrade front/rear is something that I want to do ASAP to my 2012 Camber. Can you tell me the size of the offset bushings needed? I would like to collect all the parts needed before I start taking things apart.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My Camber is a 29er would be different if you're on a 26" wheeled Camber?
    Speak to Burgtec, I did the bottom shock eyelet, which uses an 8mm bolt. The Overall bush width required is 25mm. They have them in stock usually. You may require special tools to remove old one and fit the new.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My Camber is a 29. Also good to know that a 140mm fork works without any issues. I will be changing the shock/fork to your set up very soon. Thanks for all of the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just curious if i bought a 7.875X2 size would that just be a simple bolt on using stock just parts removed from my 2012 29er camber. Just looking for a simple swap without any extra spacers, adapters etc if that is possible.. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That is basically the same size shock, so yes it will.
    I have used a 57mm stroke shock, the 2" you're talking about is 50.8mm, standard stroke from Specialized is 49mm, very little difference.
    If using a 57mm stroke shock, you will need to use the offset bushing to increase the EtE length to prevent the seat stay brace hitting the seat tube.
    I have been jumping and hucking large drops with no fear of this happening now.
    Happy Days :-)))

Kid disguised as an adult
    Has anyone tried fitting a Manitou shock on a Camber 29? It looks like the air valve is in a position that might hit the mounting tab on the frame, but I'm not sure. I'd like to put something better than the Ario on my bike to match the plushness of the Tower Pro 29 I put on it recently.
    Is there a favorite shock for upgrading the Camber? I'm not really up on the current shock from Fox and RockShox.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

Kid disguised as an adult
    After talking to one of the suspension engineers at Manitou (how many other companies are that accessible?), I decided to try a Manitou Radium Expert and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I bought the Expert rather than the Pro because the engineer said that the only difference is that the Pro has a higher volume air can and for my purposes he felt that the less linear response of the Expert would be more to my liking. The things that really sold me on it were the price ($179, but Price Point has them on sale right now for $159) and his assurance that if I wasn't totally happy with the performance that I could send it to them for custom tuning or he could talk me through some of it over the phone. I already knew that Manitou has outstanding customer service from talking to them about the Tower Pro fork I put on my Camber, but he showed that that's still true.
    FWIW, I have no connection to Price Point or Manitou.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm Upgraded to 2014 Fox Float CTD

I just got done doing a test ride after installing a 2014 Fox Float CTD 7.875x2.0" (200x50mm) on my 2011 Camber Elite 29er, and it works great. I am really impressed with how stiff it feels but yet plush in the rough terrain. I had 1600 miles on the Ario RL, so it had gotten a little sloppy, even though I've done a full seal rebuild. Highly recommended, I can definitely notice the difference between "Climb" and "Trail" modes, it stiffens it up just the right amount. I hardly ever used the lock out mode on the Ario RL because it didnt feel right, but the "Climb" mode on the Fox feels great.

Upgrading Specialized Camber 29er Ario RL rear shock-foxfloatctdoncamber-large.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looks good! Curious where did you order from LBS or online?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I actually stopped by my LBS and it was a new "take off" spare they had there. Got it for about half msrp. Got to be one of the best upgrades I've done to the bike. The best upgrade was moving to Shimano XT brakes, then this upgrade would be #2.