Dec 2011

Is this upgrade worth it?

Not very statisfied with the performance of my fork (2007 Dart 2 100mm). With the riding I'm doing it's just not holding up and it doesn't move at all on small stuff. When it does move it only actually moves about 60mm on 2ft drops.

So I found a deal on a Fox 32 Float RL 100mm on kijiji with one ride on it for $370. I'm not to savvy on forks and looked at reviews and I saw a few 5 stars. But I also saw 5 stars on Suntour Forks so I don't feel comfortable going by reviews. I know Fox is a big name in forks so I'm guessing it's better, but do you guys think it is a nice upgrade for the price?

Thanks in advance

edit- Just found out it is a 15mm axle, and I'm not sure if that will fit on my bike O.o I ride a stock 2007 KHS XC204

Link KHS Bicycles :: XC204

Ride Responsibly
    Do not know if it will accept your wheel. The price is good. Important to know the length of the forks steering column, too long is ok, too short and you are screwed!

Dec 2011
    Fork is new. Would a tapered steerer matter at all?

If I were to take off my wheel and check axle size where and what would I measure to?

Sorry for my noobishness and ty for the help

mtbr member
    You will need a new front hub if you get that fork, as the original Pilot fork only came with a standard 9mm QR hub. You also are going to have issues with the steerer if it is tapered, as it looks like your bike is designed around a 1 -1/8th steerer tube.
    Any Fox fork will be a major upgrade to the Pilot, you just need to find one with QR lowers and a straight 1 -1/8th steerer.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Dec 2011
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep shopping around

Also, (sorry another question) is there a way to convert a headtube to be compatible with tapered forks? Really don't want to have to buy a new bike in a few years if all forks go tapered.
    Last edited by Raptrox; 10-13-2012 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I may have your deal for you OP.

I bought a Rockshox Reba RLT dual air, installed it on my Trek Mamba and rode it 3 times and just bought a Specialized Epic FS so I am putting my Mamba back to stock and need to sell the new fork.

$325 and it is yours, it is a 1 1/8" straight shaft. I can get it measured tomorrow and you can see if is long enough for your bike. If you are interested let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptrox View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep shopping around

Also, (sorry another question) is there a way to convert a headtube to be compatible with tapered forks? Really don't want to have to buy a new bike in a few years if all forks go tapered.
    There are a couple of head sets that are around that can let you run tapered steerers, but your original head tube needs to be 44mm oversized. Have a look at this - New Headset Allows Use Of Tapered Steerers In Some 1-1/8in Head Tubes - BikeRadar

I do think that straight steerer forks are going to disappear anytime soon though, so I wouldn't be to worried about the availability of forks for some time yet.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    The OP's frame does not have an oversized headtube. You cannot run a tapered fork.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.