mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Upgrade for RS Psylo XC

Hello,
    I have a bike with a RS Psylo XC that started leaking shock oil pretty bad recently. I am looking to replace as it is very old and would like to get someting a little more modern. I am ~190 lbs, and ride New England trails(lots of roots, small rocks, etc.). My bike is a Diamondback XSL Pro, with all the components from a Raleigh M8000. The reason for the odd combo is that I bought the M1000 in 2001 and broke the frame. The lbs replaced that frame with the DB one.
    I was looking at this fork: Rock Shox Tora SL Solo Air, and would like to know if this would suit my needs. I think that I would like the air shock because I am on the heavier side and this would allow some adjustability, but I have know experience in this area. I would like to keep the fork <$250.
    Last edited by superbrew; 09-06-2010 at 05:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    After doing a little research here, it seems that most people agree that the Tora 318 is a better fork. I am looking at this one here: Rockshox Tora Coil U-Turn.

Would this be a better choice, and would I need to buy the X-Firm spring?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You could just get new seals for the Psylo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You could just get new seals for the Psylo.
    I thought of that, but I didn't want to for a couple of reasons, the main one being that I believe this fork is too soft for me and I can't find any springs for it. It is also ~9 years old. Also, I have upgraditis as I have started riding again. I am thinking that a new fork will be more rigid, which I think will help with riding fast in rooty/rocky terrain.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by superbrew
    I thought of that, but I didn't want to for a couple of reasons, the main one being that I believe this fork is too soft for me and I can't find any springs for it. It is also ~9 years old. Also, I have upgraditis as I have started riding again. I am thinking that a new fork will be more rigid, which I think will help with riding fast in rooty/rocky terrain.
    Yeah, I would not drop too much time and money into that fork. The Tora 318 is actually pretty decent, and an killer fork for the price. WAY stiffer than the Psylo.

As far as the spring, tough call on firm vs extra firm. I would do some searching on this board to see what others are running. I think the general consensus is that the RS recommended spring chart (which I am pretty sure would have you on an extra-firm) tends to underestimate the rider weights for their springs. In other words, even though it has you on an extra-firm, you may want a firm instead. That said, I personally found the recommended extra-firm spring in my Pike to be just right for me @ ~190lbs. Firm and extra-firm both worked OK, I just liked the firmer, more controlled ride of the stiffer spring rather than the plusher, rock garden eating compliance of the lighter one.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.