mtbr member

Upgrade or rebuild my Fox shock ?

I have an older bike which i both love and fits me like a glove. Its a 6 year old giant trance. It has a fox float R with pro pedal on it. I tend to be a fair weather rider, so the shock istn exposed to lots of dirt and grime. Plus i only ride on average about 30 days a year.

So i was looking at the rear shock and thinking it could use a overhaul. But at this point am i better getting a new shock? I have upgraded all the bearings in the linkages and the bike still looks great. So a new shock isnt that much of a strech.

Being as i am around 220, and mostly a cross county rider what shock would you recommend. Or would rebuild be better, and if so where is a great place to send it?

Sorry, im not much of a mtn bike guy, more your road, cross, commuter person. SO any help here would be great.

Thanks Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You could have PUSH Industries rebuild the shock w/ a custom tune. The advantage to a shock like an RP23 would have the ability to adjust the pedal platform. If you are happy w/ the current operation the custom tune would up the current performance level to your specifications.

Save Jesus
    Buy a fox rebuild kit for about $20. All you have to do is take off the air can and change a couple of o rings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Buy a fox rebuild kit for about $20. All you have to do is take off the air can and change a couple of o rings.

+1. a few months ago, I didn't know about this either, and it was extremely easy. my old Float R AVA now works just fine and is a great backup shock. (which sadly I've had to use already! )

there's nothing wrong with your 6 year old trance frame, but I would avoid doing a series of upgrades because it would probably be cheaper and more effective to buy a whole new bike on sale. there are still good deals on 2012s to be had.

mtbr member
    I just put some silicone spray on the fork and shock and it was AWESOME.

Also here in AU the FOX kits cost over $40 and you can't get them shipped from overseas.

mtbr member
    $40 vs. the price of a whole new shock. And Push is for peeps that can't change an O-ring,
    seal, and bushing (unless you need an ugrade/tune done).
    Last edited by Bataivah; 11-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would think a shock that is 6 years old ridden 30 times a year would need a complete overhaul and not just an air sleeve service. I know there are plenty of suspension owners that let there shocks fail, before service, but suspension manufactures have recommended overhaul intervals. Fox lists 100hr or annually for rear shocks : Bike Suspension Service | FOX

On a side note my first Float R was @ least 5 years old and I thought it worked OK - no damper noise. Had it overhauled and I was quite surprised I noticed a change for the better in performance. I think I just got use to the performance as it degraded.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone, with the age of the shock, i think that spending the money and gettting an overhaul done isnt out of the realm of reason.

So ill send it in and let them have fun with it.

Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hmmmm.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I would think a shock that is 6 years old ridden 30 times a year would need a complete overhaul and not just an air sleeve service.
    I disagree. If the shock does not make squish sounds with the can off (air in the damper section) or clunk sounds (oil out of the damper section), and still takes force to compress the damper shaft (pressure in the ifp space), then the damper section is fine.
    Last edited by beanbag; 11-25-2012 at 04:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Servicing the air can couldn't hurt anything, but it also won't help anything unless you have a problem with air leaking. Damper oil deteriorates with use and age. It starts with the first ride and continues until you change it. If your shock has sucked air into the damper, it's time for a service. If not, it's a matter of feel. I've never changed the oil in one of my shocks and thought it was a waste of time. It always makes a bigger difference than I expect. Once a year for me unless I'm playing with different oil viscosity for some reason.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Send it to Push

I sent my RP23 into Push and it was the best money I spent on my Moto-lite. It made me want to start riding that bike again. Although, this also made me want to upgrade other areas of the bike as well (new fork, adjustable post, wheelset).

But in the end, having Push custom tune my RP23 was money well spent in my opinion.
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite