Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Upgrade Possibilities? - RS Sektor R 2011 Solo 120mm

Hey,

I have a set of the above forks which perform well, but after long descents and lots of 'pumping' through flowy sections; the fork response begins to suffer.

On this basis I feel that a new damper would be worthwhile upgrade as I cannot yet afford new forks and the Sektors are running a similar body to Revelations. I was hoping something along the lines of a RCT3, Motion Control or Black Box damper would be a possibility?

Any experience or advice that can be offered would be well appreciated.

Many Thanks

mtbr member
    Any of those options you mentioned will work well, with varying levels of complexity to install. Easiest would be to drop in a RCT3 damper, as all you need to do is drop in the damper and fill the oil to the correct level. For the best results, getting the blackbox/dualflow rebound damper installed as well would be good, as the basic port orifice rebound damping has always been the Sektor's weak spot.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Thank you for the response; much appreciated.

I have been looking into the options I had listed in more detail and it is mainly the top damper I would like to replace as the rebound assembly at this time is sufficient.

I have narrowed down a possible RCT3 or XX upgrade; I have read that SRAM label the RCT3 as the 'descenders' damper, if you have any experience using the two dampers could you comment on this 'label' from SRAM?

And one last question; would either of these two (RCT3 or XX) increase my forks performance when soaking up rocky and rough terrain and increase handling when hitting technical sections at higher speeds?

Or would the rebound still be your main suggestion?

Again; many thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    To further the above questions:

Is part number 11.4015.460.020 from the tech doc (here)

the RCT3 Motion Control Damper assembly required if I were to go for this option?

Finding a 120mm variant is proving tricky.

mtbr member
    RCT3 damper over the XX for sure. XX damper are designed to run either open or locked out, with nothing in between. The RCT3 damper has open, threshold and locked out, with independent LSC adjustment, so it is a much better option for most riders (racers excepted).
    The Sektors rebound is a fairly basic system which can end up not responding quickly enough to fast long repeated hits, as it tends to "pack up" and you end up with the fork getting deep into it's travel and not returning to full extension in readiness for the next hit.
    When you say your fork response starts to suffer, is it compreesion or rebound issues you are having? If rebound, then I would think about changing the rebound first, unless you are running the TK version of the Sektor, in which case I'd change the MoCo damper 1st.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for your quick reply!

The RCT3 damper sounds like the best option then as far as compression is concerned.

In regards to 'fork response starting to suffer'; I find that after repeated hits especially in flowy, berm and switchback sections; the fork sits deep in its travel, which has a negative effect of speed, flow and can make the fork feel 'mushy'.
    The first few hits however are fine if not eating too much travel; although the fork gets progressively stiffer if these are larger hits chained together.

The fork I am running is the 2011 Sektor R Solo Air (so no adjustment options apart from rebound lower adjustment).

Any links/part numbers would be heavily appreciated to put the upgrade in perspective if possible?

Thanks a lot for this info man!
    Your really helping me out here!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a rebound is the issue, you may be running it a bit slow, so the fork doesn't have time to extend before the next hit, so in effect you get deeper and deeper into the forks travel, which is causing the progressively stiffer feeling you mentioned. The upgraded rebound damper would help, but whatever damper you have, if the rebound is set to slow, the fork will pack up.
    Have a read through this thread as well - RS Sektor Rebound...Maxed to Turtle?, there is some more info worth taking note of as well.

Sorry I'm not to good on the relevant part numbers, I'd have to search a bit more and let you know.

Class Clown
    You could go with the RLT DNA compression damper plus the dual flow rebound damper for about the same price as an RCT3.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by flaminx0r View Post
    To further the above questions:

Is part number 11.4015.460.020 from the tech doc (here)

the RCT3 Motion Control Damper assembly required if I were to go for this option?

Finding a 120mm variant is proving tricky.
    If the Revelation dampers fit I would go with one of those instead. You can get floodgate adjust and the DNA damper.

Class Clown
    RLT DNA 11.4015.544.110
    RCT3 11.4015.544.130

Writeup on difference between rebound dampers.

Dual Flow Rebound damper on Pike

mtbr member
    Good read; thanks for all input!

Don't worry about the part numbers; I can sort that our from this end

many thanks!

mtbr member
    After all the great info I have decided upon the:

2010+ Rev/Sektor Motion Control Rebound Damper/Seal Head - part # 11.4015.397.010

&

Rockshox Compression Damper MoCo DNA Revelation RCT3 2012 Crown Adj (w/Knobs) - part # 11.4015.544.130

Just need to get the funds sorted and it should feel like a new fork

Cheers,

help much appreciated from the both of you's!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Not starting another thread but here is a similar question :

I have a Sektor TK Dual Coil 150 - 120 mm therefore I would like to make some improvements, so what do you recommend from the following options :

Compression Damper (pictures of the parts - credit from local bike shop):

1. 11.4015.460.020 : Compression Damper Kit, Motion Control, Crown Adjust - 2010 Recon, 2011 Recon Gold (adj knob/spool, screw and cable-set clamp rmt only) - around $50

Upgrade Possibilities? - RS Sektor R 2011 Solo 120mm-11215_1.jpg

2. 11.4015.544.090 : Compression Damper, Motion Control DNA, Crown Adjust - 2012 Revelation RL (includes compression knob) - same price as above - around $50

Upgrade Possibilities? - RS Sektor R 2011 Solo 120mm-11830_1.jpg

3. 11.4015.544.110 : Compression Damper, Motion Control DNA, Crown Adjust - 2012 Revelation RLT (includes compression knob) - price around $60, looks like it has two knobs to adjust low and high compr.

Upgrade Possibilities? - RS Sektor R 2011 Solo 120mm-11684_1.jpg

4. 11.4015.544.130 : Compression Damper, Motion Control DNA, Crown Adjust - 2012 Revelation RCT3 (includes compression knobs) - price around $120

Upgrade Possibilities? - RS Sektor R 2011 Solo 120mm-11686_1.jpg

Rebound damper :

5. 11.4015.397.010 : RockShox Revelation REB DMPR Seal Head - price around $50 - I couldn't find this part in the Sram catalog , I got it from the colleague that posted above (Agoflaminx0r) so I don't know if it will fit.

Name:  11318_1.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  25.1 KB

6. 11.4015.545.030 : Rebound Damper and Seal Head Assembly/Shaft Bolt (150mm max travel) - 2010-2012 Revelation 26” and 29” - price around $65 -

Name:  12221_1.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  28.2 KB

So at the moment I'm willing to spend somewhere around 100$ so what options do you recommend :

- get the Reveletion RLT compr. dampr. and the rebound damper

or

- get now the RCT3 compr. dampr. and later I could change the rebound damper ( I don't know how this will cope with stock sektor rebound damper)

Class Clown
    RLT and dual flow rebound (red one). The upgraded rebound damper makes a huge difference unless you don't take hits or leave the ground

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the answer but :

1. Which of the rebound damper listed in my post (since their both red) ?

2. RLT over RCT3 ? I've found some info between them but do you think it worth to pay double for the RCT3 ?

RCT3 – a new format that has three distinct positions: open, threshold and locked, with separate external low-speed compression damping control. This is their new “best” option with the most user control over settings.
    RLT – their standard compression control that lets you set it from fully open to fully closed or anywhere in between, with adjustable threshold via Floodgate.

Class Clown
    Looks like 6 if the part # and picture match. The damper itself is red. On the other one that's just the bolt.

There's a thread a few down about RLT vs RCT3. I think RLT is a damn fine damper with the ability to fine tune and make quick on the fly adjustments. I'm sure RCT3 is good too but at twice the price I'd say no, especially if the budget comes down to dual flow rebound or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    #5 and #6 in my list, from the picture point of view they look pretty much the same, the only difference that I see is a valve that is red and on the other one in black. Maybe we are referring to different things.

Well I think I will go with the RLT . Just for curiosity , will it with work with stock rebound damper ? On the other hand, all this upgrades they should work fine theoretically but has anyone actually changed them ?

mtbr member
    #6 is the newer version of the Dual-flow / Black box rebound. It has a low speed needle valve (port orifice) and a high-speed shim stack which can be tuned by opening up and replacing shims. The value of the shim stack is in repeated hits, the shims open up and allow the fork to return quicker rather than just a straight single stage which is tuned for lows-speed or high-speed but not both (without stopping and adjusting the knob). If you don't see repeated hits, it may not be all that valuable to get the dual-flow rebound, if you do, it is definitely worth it.

Class Clown
    Here's a thread on the rebound damper differences

Dual Flow Rebound damper on Pike

Class Clown
    You CAN swap just the compression damper. I got that first so had a few rides with the RLT and the stock rebound damper before my dual flow arrived. Still a great upgrade just on its own but I can't say enough good things about the performance of the upgraded rebound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks all for kind replies. I think I've made my mind now so I'll go for the RLT Compr. damper and the new version for the Rebound damper (I hope I won't encounter any compatibility problems) .

What I don't know is how much oil should I know put in it ? I know the table from here : http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/7o...art_2012_0.pdf but which ones should I use for guiding?

Class Clown
    Probably the same level as the Revelation since you are using the Rev dampers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    One last question , I don't know if anyone noticed but my fork is coiled ( dual position coil actually) besides the OP that has Solo Air, therefore , will that change things in any way ?

Class Clown
    It shouldn't

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I believe you but I hoped for an answer that would convince me more. Maybe I'm missing it but I've tried to find someone that actually did this on this forum, but I couldn't .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast