OldTeen
    Jun 2004

Upgrade from '03 Duke C

I'm currently running an 03 RS Duke C w/U-turn for XC & some DH. (I weigh 175# w/gear). Basically happy with the fork, but considering upgrading. Any suggestions?
    Trying to cover the current market- have tried Axel, new Judy's, & Splice (none match the Duke), R7 black (OK), MX Comp (nice), and Tora air (seemed decent). Trouble is- none seemed clearly better than the Duke. Do I really have to spend $5-600+ to get a better fork????

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The duke is a very good fork. If you buy retail maybe 500 usd is the average price for a more than decent-very good do it all fork. The mx comp eta at $300 is really nice, similar in weight, travel and function than the duke. I recomend you the fox vanilla 130-140 mm for 400-450 usd. Im not a fox customer, I love marzocchi tough but the last year or this year vanilla are good options. If you dont mind last year forks and mustard color, the marzocchi all mountain 1 100-130 of travel with all the bling bling possible adjustments at $335 on ebay, its one of the best forks on the market.

As I told you theres respectable forks at 500 - 600 usd retail but my oinion is try to get last years forks and save almost 50% retail price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTeen
    I'm currently running an 03 RS Duke C w/U-turn for XC & some DH. (I weigh 175# w/gear). Basically happy with the fork, but considering upgrading. Any suggestions?
    Trying to cover the current market- have tried Axel, new Judy's, & Splice (none match the Duke), R7 black (OK), MX Comp (nice), and Tora air (seemed decent). Trouble is- none seemed clearly better than the Duke. Do I really have to spend $5-600+ to get a better fork????
    '05 Minute 1 or 3 can be found around $200-$300 right now. I have a 3:00 and it's a very nice trail fork. They have adjustable travel (like the Duke) but better damping, unless you end up not liking SPV...

Alternatively you can get Nixon Elites under $300 too. Adjustable travel and decent TPC damping.

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    '05 Minute 1 or 3 can be found around $200-$300 right now. I have a 3:00 and it's a very nice trail fork. They have adjustable travel (like the Duke) but better damping, unless you end up not liking SPV...

Alternatively you can get Nixon Elites under $300 too. Adjustable travel and decent TPC damping.
    I'll look at the Minute and Nixons. Looks like they are available in the 80-105mm travel range that Im used to on my Duke.

BTW- What's the downside of SPV?