mtbr member

Unknown rubber bumper found in FOX 40 lowers

I just acquired my first Fox 40 ('06)...
    I'm guessing this is a bottom-out bumper of some sort?

With the bike upside-down I pulled the lowers to clean the seals and drain/refill the oil. As I was cleaning the inside of the lowers (with the seals off) a rubber washer/bushing thing fell out
    My guess is it's a bottom-out bumper, but I dont know which leg it goes into or how it sits once its in the lowers. I tried to put the bumper back into the lower and it just kinda flops around in there...
    I'm assuming once the fork actuates a couple times the bushing will self-align, but before I go assuming I know what i'm doing, can someone confirm what this rubber piece is and where it goes? Which leg of the fork?

I have the fork apart now. Don't want to reassemble without knowing for sure (Murphey says I'll put it in the wrong side)

I should also add that nowhere in the fox 40 service manual does it make mention of this bumber or show an image of it.

mtbr member
    So noone's had a 40 apart and can confidently ID this part???

Boulder chucker
    I had mine (09 but pretty much the same as my 06 36 Van.) apart earlier this summer and if I recall correctly.... it was on the coil spring side. Goes in the bottom of the lowers first then the coil spring assembly. Not a bottom out bumper. More of contact pad for the spring instead of directly on the lowers.

PMK
    mtbr member
    It's a bottoming cushion to prevent a metal to metal clank. Drop it in the lower leg that is missing one. I believe they both should have a bottoming cushion. Use a flashlight and look for the other one.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!