No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Unhappy w/ Wotan need info on 160mm replacement

I'm running a Magura Wotan on my Turner 6 Pack trail rig. I won't go into great detail on this particular fork, but I am not pleased with it (severe top-out clunk if the biggest issue). It's not a warranty issue and the tech at Magura USA was helpful when I rebuilt it, but the problem isn't resolved.

So, I'm in the market for a replacement 160mm fork. It'll be on the Turner, which has a DHX-Air 5.0. I prefer to buy used as forks get really, really beat up here on rocky AZ trails and my budget needs to stay reasonable.

What I want: Either air or coil is OK. No specific brand preference. Travel adjust or lockout are not necessary. I just need enough adjustments so I can get it dialed as plush as possible but not a pogo stick, as little brake dive as possible without resorting to too much platform damping. Must be 20mm of course. I do a fair amount of technical climbing on this bike.

My real preference, based on reading and not first-hand experience, would be a Fox Vanilla 36. Can't seem to find a used one.

I can pick up a nice Lyric solo air for around $500. There's a decent '09 Fox Talas RC2 locally, current price is $500, but probably cheaper.

Or, there's a 2008 Marz 55 TST2. I've read all about this problems with this fork. This particular local fork was a warranty repair from Marz. It's got stock lowers, but the remainder (uppers, crown, etc.) are new and it has the 2009 TST2 guts. I can get this very, very cheap, which is a good thing.

Any insight welcome. I'm very tempted to try the Marz fork just based on price. Thank you.

RIP Friendgirl

If it's the one with a coil in the left leg, buy it. Avoid any travel adj ATA models.

You can do the TST2 mod to further tune the fork & mine has been solid. Bought it used for a song. It's the sleeper 55 model of 2008.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    This particular fork does not have travel adjust and has an air bladder in the left leg. Thoughts?

Team Chilidog!
    Fox 36 Van RC2 all the way.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

Let the good times roll.
    One of my riding buddies has a TST2 and is pretty unhappy with it. He missed out on about a month of riding sending it in for repairs this summer, and it seems to be acting up again. Based on his experience and others I've heard about, I would never consider a TST fork unless it was stupid cheap.

The Lyrik and TALAS are both solid choices IMO. I don't personally like Fox air forks much because I've never found one that was quite plush enough for me, but they are reliable and perform well. The Lyrik SA would be my choice between the 2 because it has better small bump compliance. I also prefer SRAM's tech support.

I also like the Van 36 RC2 and the Nixon Elite (that's what i have now). Both have great perfomance.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I have no experience with Fox or Marz. I do typically love RS products. The Pike, either dual air or coil, is one of my favorite forks of all time.

The Marz is stupid cheap. It's basically new, local and less than a third the price of the other two.

RIP Friendgirl
    If the left leg has a schrader valve on top, it's just for preload of the spring. No "Bladder".

If its been serviced by zoch & the price is right you could do worse. All 55's have a bad rep but it's mainly the ATA ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Loving the Lyrik Coil. Really responsive on the small stuff but really nice on fast squared bumps.

mtbr member
    did anybody say 55 rc3 ti?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What's wrong with ATA? From my research, the ATA knob winds down sometimes but there seems to be a simple fix for that. Other than that, what else? I'd like to know since I'm looking for a new fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ata has a long history of near constant failures. it looks like some people have fixed them with an aftermarket o-ring, but i didnt look far enough into it to know what long term durability is.

i pretty sure TST2 problems were solved, not by marz, but theres writeups out there on how to get it fixed on your own, and shim stack tuning, etc. 55's getting up there on my list too, they're crazy cheap.

i think id go for the marz, but expect maybe some repairs, or tinkering at least. the fox van is a good choice too, but check them off the bat for oil levels and the other misc fox problems. i think the 32 sucks pretty bad, but the 36 chassis is hard to not like, especially the van.

then again.. everyone rants and raves about wotans! is it damaged, or do you just not like it even on its best day?

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordershy
    If it's the one with a coil in the left leg, buy it. Avoid any travel adj ATA models.

You can do the TST2 mod to further tune the fork & mine has been solid. Bought it used for a song. It's the sleeper 55 model of 2008.
    i'd have to agree. i went with 08 55 ETA's for my Foes FXR 2:1 and i couldn't be happier. the ATA version of the 55s are well known for being absolute lemons - avoid 'em. the ETA version was the pick of the 55 bunch, i love ETA so it was a no brainer. having said that, i have always wanted to try 36 vans. had 36 talas on a heckler and they were a good fork, super stiff, but lacked the plushness of the vans.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Tom/all: I'm picking up the Marz today. It's local, a guy from the board here actually, and if I don't like it I won't have a lot of $$ tied up into it.

The Wotan is a beautiful fork, not too heavy and unbelievably stiff. I just can't seem to get past the initial stiction, which is irritating. Worse it the top-out knock and the harshness over high-speed chunk.

I've had it apart once and it's better after flushing the oil and putting the proper levels in. I'm about 200 in gear and running roughly 72psi in the chamber with a wide-open damper. Once it gets into the meat of its travel the fork is great and I've never come close to bottoming it.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    man, that sux about the wotans. i was really looking forward to giving the german uber-forks a go but you got me rethinking. i weigh more than you (about 220lbs) and i don't want any on-going issues ruining my ride.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Well, there are other folks that are happy with the fork, so I wouldn't use my experience necessarily as a barometer. I'm really wondering if I shouldn't reduce the air and dial in some compression damping to keep it higher in the travel with reduced pressure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    your wotan dislikes sound almost exactly like my minute spv dislikes! its great once it gets into the travel, a bit harsh in the rough and it tops out too

let us know how the 55 works for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I'm running a Magura Wotan on my Turner 6 Pack trail rig. I won't go into great detail on this particular fork, but I am not pleased with it (severe top-out clunk if the biggest issue). It's not a warranty issue and the tech at Magura USA was helpful when I rebuilt it, but the problem isn't resolved.

So, I'm in the market for a replacement 160mm fork. It'll be on the Turner, which has a DHX-Air 5.0. I prefer to buy used as forks get really, really beat up here on rocky AZ trails and my budget needs to stay reasonable.

What I want: Either air or coil is OK. No specific brand preference. Travel adjust or lockout are not necessary. I just need enough adjustments so I can get it dialed as plush as possible but not a pogo stick, as little brake dive as possible without resorting to too much platform damping. Must be 20mm of course. I do a fair amount of technical climbing on this bike.

My real preference, based on reading and not first-hand experience, would be a Fox Vanilla 36. Can't seem to find a used one.

I can pick up a nice Lyric solo air for around $500. There's a decent '09 Fox Talas RC2 locally, current price is $500, but probably cheaper.

Or, there's a 2008 Marz 55 TST2. I've read all about this problems with this fork. This particular local fork was a warranty repair from Marz. It's got stock lowers, but the remainder (uppers, crown, etc.) are new and it has the 2009 TST2 guts. I can get this very, very cheap, which is a good thing.

Any insight welcome. I'm very tempted to try the Marz fork just based on price. Thank you.
    Are you interested in selling your Wotan to me?