Bike Addiction

Tuning X-Fusion 02 RC

I have an X-fusion shock on a 09 FSR XC Comp Speshy and have tried tuning but cannot get it right. I feel like I'm getting bucked over the bars on small bumps. It works at speed and out of the saddle but sitting down and long hill climbs are terrible. Has anybody figured out how to get the most out of it or should I just spring for a fox or specialized shock? It has rebound and lockout. I have tried adjusting air pressure both ways and even tried dropping 2 lbs at a time. Am I missing something? Help!
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The C isnt lockout, its a full range compression adjustment. Set the sag in the middle of the range and dialing in more compression will reduce bobbing and less will make the bike respond more to bumps. Set the air presure when you're at maximum compression and it'll be softer thru every other setting. Set the air when in the least compression mode and everything else will ramp up the compression until the thing becomes harsh over bumps.

The manual on X-fusion's site would explain all that btw. I just know since I have an RC on one of my duallies. Once you stop thinking its a simple lockout lever like fox shocks run, and that its an actual compression adjustment lever, it becomes a no-brainer.

Bike Addiction
    I can set the dial in mid range and it does Ok but it will not stay there. One good bump and it opens full again or at least opens some. it seems like I am always having to look down to check the lever and reset it to get the best ride, especially on the climbs. I thought it was a lockout because at the top I feel a click when I raise the lever all the way up and it has very little movement after that.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Nope, jjust really firm compression damping. If the lever is slipping then check your cable routing on your frame. Doesn't take a lot of force to move it and a brake hose shifting will do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Specialized has those shocks custom built, and my recolection is that the blue lever is only a lockout on or off switch. You may be able to fool the shock by closing the lever half way, but because that is not really what the lever is designed for, it probably won't stay.

Double check the setup on the shock:
    Check your shock sag i.e. how much the shock compresses while sitting in your riding position. You are looking for about 25%. It helps to do this in full riding gear and with all the damping adjusters backed off.
    Check your rebound damping. Turn the red knob on that shock so that when you cycle the rear suspension, it extends and a quick but controlled rate. it shouldn't feel fast like a pogo stick, or slow like a car trunk support strut extending.

If that doesn't do it then you may be looking to have the damper serviced and possibly re-valved. If you replace the shock my suggestion would be either a Fox, or Rockshox shock, as the Specialized shocks have been pretty spotty

Hope that helps

-Dan

Inrideo est vita
    If the above advice does not help, call X-Fusion USA @ (408) 866-0188 and speak to them. You may need service and they are AWESOME at both trouble shooting problems and fixing issues.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

Bike Addiction
    Dan, My RC has only a single lever no knobs for rebound. I rechecked the sag and started over playing with it but same thing. I wish I could get a pop lock lever for it to keep it in place on climbs but I have not heard of one for a rear shock. I've got a rp23 on my other bike so I'm looking at that or a rp2 I found for $160.00.

SSteel, I will call fusion if I can't figure out something quick. I have had the LBS guys fool with it a couple of times but to no avail.Maybe I'm expecting too much out of this shock.Like I said earlier it works good on big bumps and out of the saddle on the smaller ones. Even feels great on very rough downhills. X-Fusion replaced the original 02 RLA after it started leaking air.Seems to be good customer service. I'll check with them.
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The lever is moving because the allen set screw right above is backed out....tighten the little allen screw above the down in the little hole and it will increase the tension on the red lever and it will not move.

mtbr member
    Check with X-Fusion on a trade-in based on your problems as they have redesigned the O2 and are releasing the 2011 versions this month. The new version has stronger detents so the levers don't accidently move around and the damping has been improved.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!