mtbr member

tuning monarch R for spearfish

x-post from salsa forum. I've been wrestling getting this shock dialed in on a salsa spearfish. If I set sag at 20% I'll never get full travel on my average ride. If I lower pressure to where full travel is obtained, sage is around 30+% and it feels to soft. I tend to have rebound set on the fast side. If I understand correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) I have a few options.
    1)lower IFP pressure by X-psi.
    2)convert to RT3

Anyone have any comments or experiences?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Which can is on it? the small volume or XV?

1. Start by adding the XV can if you can find one affordably. It will reduce the ramp up and make stroke more linear, which is what you are after.

2. You can mess with the ifp pressure, and set it you around 250 psi to decrease end stroke progressiveness.

3. Since the shock is so easy to tear down and rebuild, you could try running a lighter weight oil in it, like finish line synthetic 2.5wt and see if this gives the effect you are looking for. I find a great starting point to be slowing rolling off a curb while seated, using no brakes, and setting the rebound so the shock compresses, rebounds, and then settles. I slow rebound down until the "bounces" are gone.

4. Personally, I would try to dial in a couple more rides at 30% sag. Try adding another two clicks of rebound dampening to help counter out of saddle bob. Now that I have gotten used to the tracking and traction of a rear shock that rides a bit lower in its travel, I will gladly make the pedaling efficiency trade.

The monarch is a great shock. If you decide to replace it, I would go right to the monarch plus. I prefer working on shocks with a piggyback and floating ifp, and the ability to dial in bottom out is the bees knees.