mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Trek y 11 needs a new shock

Hi,

I have the Trek Y11 and I need to replace the front shock (Rockshox Indy SL). Iím older and not into the rough riding I used to do. I was thinking of replacing it with maybe the Rockshox Dart 2. Bikepedia lists the headset on my Trek as 1 1/8Ē threadless, so would the Dart fit? Does travel make a huge difference I saw it comes 80 or 100 mm? From what I could find the Indy only has 72mm of travel. Thanks in advance, in my younger years I was really into this, but now Iím looking to slow it down a little and need to replace some part.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Dart 2 in 80mm will be your best fit...it will actually function better than that old Indy, though weigh about 2x as much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey man,

I thought I was the only one still riding one of these pieces of junk.
    I replaced the origional fork about 5 years ago with a Fox Vanilla RLC.
    It has more travel than the origional Rock Shock. at 125mm

It feels quite good to ride but I ride fairly steep terrain where I live.

If you go shorter travel you can always adjust the bars with spacers or get some riser bars to lift yourself to a more comfortable position.
    However you might find the steering becomes quite twitchy and a bit scarry on the down hills.
    I would reccommend you stay around the same travel range.

I went for more travel because I was getting into downhill and was too nieve to reallise you can't turn an xc bike in a dh bike.
    I even rode Thredbo a few times. Thats propably Australia's roughest/longest dh track.
    The bike held up fine. I got some funny looks though. I even have bar ends on the bike.
    No worries, I ride ok and managed to pass my share of dudes on their dh rigs.

Another tip. When you get your new fork get yourself a front disc break. You won't regret that.
    I still have the old V break on the rear but front is good enough.
    xc riders are alwys giggling like girls when they see my bike and old school v brakes.

Not much on my bike is origional anymore but I've done heaps of km's over the years and gradually replaced part.
    My suggestion would be to get a new bike. If however you are not a regullar rider just replace parts as required.

Keep the bike for xc only though. I can't beleive my frame is still in one piece.
    I've bent two swing arms. One caseing on a rather large dirt jump and cracked one just general riding.

Good luck and have fun,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Be careful when going with a more modern fork... check your axle to crown measurement and try to stay somewhat close to that. If you start going more or less than 10mm different you will see some handling changes... sometimes not so good.

As you increase your A to C you will slacken your geometry, slower steering and the front end may "push" a little, but it miight also feel better on the downhills.

On the other end a shorter A to C will make steering faster, possibly feel twitchy, but since most older forks were short A to C by todays standards you will probably be looking at a slacker head tube angle...

Cheers
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you for all the replies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd recommend against the Dart. Spend the extra money and buy, at a minimum, the Tora 318.

mtbr member
    May 2010

rep front fork

I would go to a REAL bike store, not a retail outlet or chains that sell bikes and in summer the "mechanic" works on bikes. In winter the bike mechanic mounts ski bindings. A real bike shop though has experienced mechanics and staff who are trained and have experience in making sure you get the right fork. They sell and service BIKES. The might sell clothes and accessories like racks, but its a bike shop and that is the heart of the business. The other stuff is for customer convenience. A real bike shop has knowledge about their products, but also products they dont sell because they service all sorts of things that either roll in or are carried in pieces through the door. .
    If nothing else, take the bike in and get their advice. Most are happpy to give that for ffree and it can be very cost and frustration saving.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

1998 trek y11

Does anyone know which front and rear shock that is available now would fit a 1998 y11. Also looking for pivot bushings, Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I own a Trek Y11 from 1998. I hate the original components on the bike, but I love the frame! I have intentions to strip the entire bike, and rebuild it from scratch. With SRAM XX components, carbon this and that, and RockShox SID and all that jazz. Would it all fit?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bingodino View Post
    I own a Trek Y11 from 1998. I hate the original components on the bike, but I love the frame! I have intentions to strip the entire bike, and rebuild it from scratch. With SRAM XX components, carbon this and that, and RockShox SID and all that jazz. Would it all fit?
    Have you tried a modern suspension frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Have you tried a modern suspension frame?
    Sorry bro, I can't say I have. And I am only guessing that the modern ride is a world of a difference.

And it'll probably be even cheaper to buy myself a brand new bike, compared to rebuilding the Y.

But, bike frames these days just don't appeal to me man. Well apart from the Scott Scale 899 of 2011. That bike is simply a stunner! But so is the astronomical price. Which is Wayyyyy outta my league!

The Y has been with me since '98. It holds a lot of history for me. I guess the ride will be more of a sentimental thing? Than anything else.

But yeah, I just want to give it a new lease of life with as much top specs I can possibly afford. And I do know where you're coming from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bingodino View Post
    Sorry bro, I can't say I have. And I am only guessing that the modern ride is a world of a difference.

And it'll probably be even cheaper to buy myself a brand new bike, compared to rebuilding the Y.

But, bike frames these days just don't appeal to me man. Well apart from the Scott Scale 899 of 2011. That bike is simply a stunner! But so is the astronomical price. Which is Wayyyyy outta my league!

The Y has been with me since '98. It holds a lot of history for me. I guess the ride will be more of a sentimental thing? Than anything else.

But yeah, I just want to give it a new lease of life with as much top specs I can possibly afford. And I do know where you're coming from.
    If at all possible, I'd recommend making the frame into wall art, and putting the money into a more modern suspension design. The Y bikes bobbed really badly during pedaling, and even when new weren't the best thing going (they looked stunning though). You might be able to make it more bearable with a modern shock, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the value isn't there putting money into it.