mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Trek STP 400 Rear Shock

I've got a 2002 STP 400 that I've converted to single speed. It's got a Sid Race rear shock that was designed just for this frame. It just lost any capability to hold air and I'm looking to rebuild. I've seen in the past a manual on how to do this or would like to hear anyone else's experience with this frame problem.

Former Bike Wrench
    have you tried just replacing the valve core?

this is a common place for air shocks to leak and is a 50 cent fix

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the tip. The LBS sre shut down here for the weekend, I'll try on Monday. There is also a grey oil residue on the shaft that wasn't there before if you have any insight on that.

Thanks again

Former Bike Wrench
    hmmm...that could be a blown dampener. I believe Hippy-Tech can work on those old SID shocks.

If that doesn't work, I know Cane Creek makes a replacement shock for the STP bikes...though its the AD-5 which has no adjustments other than air pressure

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well here it is a solid two months later and I got my rebuilt shock back from Hippie Tech yesterday. Put it on and works fine on the road, I'm going to Ruston, LA this weekend for a prerace run to see how good it's really going to feel. Cane Creek wanted $210.00 for a comparable shock but with a single chamber as you mentioned. Jerry at Hippie tech completely rebuilt the original for $185.00. I guess as long as you're not it a big hurry, the quality is good, after all, Jerry likes to ride too.
    Thanks for your help....
    ccook

MC Hammer
    Well I'm glad you got your shock working.............but I'm thinking with the two month wait and the fact that you only saved 25 bucks I would have gone with the new fork vs a rebuilt one.............but that's just me........used to have an STP and I miss that thing dearly

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The problem I was having was the rear shock.....Rock Shok no longer makes that model...That being the case, I'm glad to be able to maintain original equipment. The front fork is a SID Race Titanium with the slick gold finish that I fortunately haven't had any problem with. Also, it being my single speed and not my only bike I haven't missed any crank time

MC Hammer
    Sorry I mistyped...........meant to say "new shock", not "new fork"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No problem......