mtbr member
    Apr 2012

trek 3900 disc upgrade

looking to upgrade front fork on the trek 3900 the suntour forks are stating to creak what would be a good upgrade for trail riding and would the new fork recomended be a bolt in

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 07civ View Post
    looking to upgrade front fork on the trek 3900 the suntour forks are stating to creak what would be a good upgrade for trail riding and would the new fork recomended be a bolt in
    Just about any 100mm travel fork would be an upgrade to the stock fork. How much of an upgrade depends on how much your willing to spend. But do keep it reasonable, lets face it, putting a $700 fork on a $550 bike isn't too cost effective. So set a budget and then start looking.

The things that you need to look for so you can use your stock wheels, etc. are, 9mm QR drop outs, straight 1 1/8" steerer tube, and the type of disc mounts on the stock fork, i.e. Post mount or IS tab mount. This will keep things as close to a bolt on install as possible. Also keep in mind that if you decide to go used, you'll have to know how long the steerer tube is on your current fork and get a fork with a steerer that is at least as long if not longer. Otherwise the steerer on the new/used fork won't be long enough. If you go new in the box this is not a concern.

As for being a bolt on, almost. You will have to remove the crown race from your old fork and install it on the new fork, cut the steerer tube down to match your current set up (if you want bar height etc. to stay the same), and you'll need to install a new star fangled nut in the new forks steerer tube. Not exactly a bolt on, but not as complicated as it sounds either.

Anyway, to start with check out Rock Shox. They have the widest price range of just about any manufacturer out there currently. Also, keep an eye open for clearance sales, the 13's are coming out, so you should be able to get some good deals on the 12 models.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    3900 is actually a quite a good base bike. ive just got rockshox reba for mine and its like a new bike - stock fork is a joke. Same for brakes - got a avid bb7 + superstar nano pedal and very happy with the bike.
    dont go for rockshox tk dumpers - before getting a good deal for reba i was considering manitou minute with abs+ dumper - high quality stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Jenson USA tends to have sales on there parts. It would be worth checking them out every once and a while.