mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Travel question on Fox 34 Float 29'r fork

I just got a new Fox 34 Float CTD 29'r fork with 140 mm travel. (The reason for the 34mm fork is I'm a clydesdale at 6'4" and 230 lbs.) The shop said it was the right fork for my Pivot Mach429 carbon. Once it was here, they said the travel could not be reduced to 120mm - 130mm was the lowest it would go. Of course they said I should be running 130mm travel on the carbon Mach 429 even though I liked the 100mm travel on the aluminum Mach 429. I can't find any info on Fox web site on the 2013 or 2014 forks. I assume they are too new to be on the web site yet.

So my question - can the travel be reduced to 100 or 120 mm on the Fox 34 Float CTD fork? Any special instructions on doing that? (I would prefer the 100mm travel but will take the 120 of that is as low as I can go.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    So my question - can the travel be reduced to 100 or 120 mm on the Fox 34 Float CTD fork? Any special instructions on doing that? (I would prefer the 100mm travel but will take the 120 of that is as low as I can go.)
    So, how Fox does travel tweaks is w/ spacers between the travel stop and the topout springs. In theory, you can jam as many spacers in there till your heart's content. The reason why I think reduction of that amount would be a problem is how progressive your air spring will be by removing that much volume to reduce your travel...as in, it'll ramp up like crazy and you'll only be able to use a portion of the travel.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    You could always call Fox directly and ask them. They're pretty helpful over the phone and you usually get through to the tech department pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So, how Fox does travel tweaks is w/ spacers between the travel stop and the topout springs. In theory, you can jam as many spacers in there till your heart's content. The reason why I think reduction of that amount would be a problem is how progressive your air spring will be by removing that much volume to reduce your travel...as in, it'll ramp up like crazy and you'll only be able to use a portion of the travel.
    That is what I expected. I would be happy with the pressure ramping up as I have dealt with those problems before. But I was shown some 'rubber sleeve' (about like a soft open ended thimble) kind of spacers and told that is what Fox uses for travel adjustment on the new forks. They said Fox only offered them in 10mm sizes so the shop had planned to used two of them for 20 mm reduction. But these 'rubber sleeve' things wouldn't stack. They would crumple and slide inside each other instead of limiting the travel.

I will call Fox but I have found that doesn't always get the straight scoop. It DOES get the manufacturer's official position, but not the truth. An example - 4 or 5 years ago there were no 34 mm 29'r forks. Fox said the 26'r fork could not be used on a 29'r no way no how. But I rode several bikes where the fork brace had been partially cut away to make room for the 29'r tire. I'm sure Fox had to say it couldn't be done because somebody would modify a fork and then sue them if it failed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    That is what I expected. I would be happy with the pressure ramping up as I have dealt with those problems before. But I was shown some 'rubber sleeve' (about like a soft open ended thimble) kind of spacers and told that is what Fox uses for travel adjustment on the new forks. They said Fox only offered them in 10mm sizes so the shop had planned to used two of them for 20 mm reduction. But these 'rubber sleeve' things wouldn't stack. They would crumple and slide inside each other instead of limiting the travel.
    Ehy?!?! Do you have pics of these rubber things?
    If they do collapse, instead of Fox, call Marzocchi and ask for their travel reduction spacers for the 44 Micro Ti, that click together. I think they're 15mm each, and they click together to get you multiples of 15mm travel reduction. Rockshox also has them for their Revelation, in 10 and 20mm increments. Rubbing alcohol to clean things up, and a dab of super glue to hold things together...easy peazy! Or, if you want to get fancy, Radioshack's 1.25" heat shrink tubing and tie the whole assembly together on the air piston rod...just leave the topout spring end open/bar so that spring can have a flat surface to act against.

Edit: got some pics for you...
    See the air piston (white), the next stop down is the travel stop. You'll need to punch out the spring pin for both to install the limiting spacer. Caution, don't punch them out completely, just enough to remove the piston and stop. The spacers go between the spring and travel stop. The rod diameter is 10.1mm
    Travel question on Fox 34 Float 29'r fork-fox-air-piston-rod-10.1mm-.jpg

This is the Rockshox Revelation spacer, 20mm x 10.33mm ID. Sorry, no 10mm example to show you...
    Travel question on Fox 34 Float 29'r fork-travel-spacer-rockshox-20mm-10.33mm-id-.jpg

This is a Marzocchi spacer, 20mm x 10.5mm ID. You might need to shim the rod w/ an o-ring or two so the thing doesn't flop around on the rod. But, once you slide the spring assembly up to the spacer, the spring seat has enough resistance to hold the spacer in place.
    Travel question on Fox 34 Float 29'r fork-travel-spacer-marzocchi-13.5mm-id.jpg

These are the Marzocchi spacers clicked together. The white one is an old 32mm Boxxer spacer. You might be able to find one at your LBS for next to nothing.
    Travel question on Fox 34 Float 29'r fork-travel-spacer-marzocchi-3x20mm.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can make your 34 any travel you want up to 150 and down to 100.
    There is some good info right on the Fox site , There are two different air side shafts that you might have depending on which design you got.

The true 2013 shaft takes different "shuttle bumpers" and different "negative plates" ...the older 2012 shaft can also use the "Negative plates" and snap washers "
    Your better off doing this mod by yourself and getting it the way you want it , the bike shop will take forever and you won't get what you want.

You can also shorten up the air shaft to keep the same progressive air spring feel if you want to, .....the shop will have no idea on how to do this either, you being a big guy will probably not have to worry about this .

WebHelp

Here is the Fox page that discusses some different ways the travel is set on the different air springs .

If you have the newer 13 air spring shaft , you can order the 130 travel air spring shaft and add a second 30 mm Shuttle bumper to the shaft and have a 100 mm travel fork.

If you have the older 12 air spring shaft , you can add snap washers until you get the 100 mm of travel you want .

click the web help link and go to quick Tech Forks and then go to 130 to 180 fox float travel setting help and you will find some info on how it works.

When I am changing travel on any fork I will check the travel manually several times to make sure I have it where I want it and to assure I have the travel I need and not hitting against anything incorrectly ,

this takes alittle time to get it perfect .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys! I knew someone here would have the answer.

And I feel embarrassed for not having found that link on the Fox web site. I looked there first before I ever posted here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pictures are on the web site kelstr linked to. The 1st picture show the rubber thing as the red gray and blue parts about half way down the assembly. Pictures 5, 6 & 7 show more detail of that part. Now that I've looked at this pictures it looks like I would have to buy the replacement part from Fox to get the travel I want. That is probably what the shop ran into.