mtbr member
    Jun 2014

? on travel of front fork.

I am new to mountain bike riding, been doing it for around a month. I have maybe 30 hours of riding so far on my Trek Remedy 7.

I have serviced my Fox shocks and they feel great nice and smooth, they are pretty simple to work on once you understand how they work! My question is my Fox 32 Float RL front fork can get 150mm of travel that's about 6 inches American measurement. Personally I am not doing any real big drops or anything and just riding intermediate trails, the most travel I use is 4 1/4 inches when I have it set up the way I like with about 120 psi.

I know the shock can get full travel if it hits hard enough, but that would be a really hard hit to do that. The thing I find is if I want to let air out I can get full travel but the fork is way to limp for my weight, It just dives to easy just by me putting my weight on it when I first take off.

Does it sound right for me getting 4 1/4 inches for normal riding travel? and I assume the unused travel I don't use is for more advanced riders that are coming off of some very high jumps and landing on the front wheel with allot of force.

I like to the way the forks works and feel on the trails, I am not complaining, I am just wondering if I have more travel then I need, or if I should be using more. I don't know how fork manufactures can get the perfect balance when everyone weight is different.

mtbr member
    Greetings fellow rider. Since your Trek is a full sus rig, you probably shouldn't
    have less travel with the fork than the back shock has. It may create a feeling
    of imbalance and have weird handling characteristics. I'm speculating. It would
    kinda be like having a bike with 2" of travel in back and a rigid fork. But then
    again Talas uses the 150/120mm design, which I have on my FSR EVO. So when
    I run the 120mm setting on long climbs, I usually switch my rear shock into the
    climb mode to make it kinda match up, or run slightly more air in the rear. At
    least it feels better in my mind.

I have the 2013 Talas that I am very displeased with. So much so I'm gonna
    take a big loss and dump it and get the new 2015 model. My 2013 has only
    20 hours on it and neither Fox or Specialized wants to help me. You'd think
    when you drop $6500.00 bike one of them would be willing to help you out.
    I may even just jump ship and go RockShox. No complaints with rear auto
    sag from Fox. Works great, but they really dropped the ball on the 13 and
    older Talas. So much so guys are converting them to the Float model.

Curious as to what others say about this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts
    and questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by StJoeRider View Post
    Greetings fellow rider. Since your Trek is a full sus rig, you probably shouldn't
    have less travel with the fork than the back shock has. It may create a feeling
    of imbalance and have weird handling characteristics. I'm speculating. It would
    kinda be like having a bike with 2" of travel in back and a rigid fork. But then
    again Talas uses the 150/120mm design, which I have on my FSR EVO. So when
    I run the 120mm setting on long climbs, I usually switch my rear shock into the
    climb mode to make it kinda match up, or run slightly more air in the rear. At
    least it feels better in my mind.

I have the 2013 Talas that I am very displeased with. So much so I'm gonna
    take a big loss and dump it and get the new 2015 model. My 2013 has only
    20 hours on it and neither Fox or Specialized wants to help me. You'd think
    when you drop $6500.00 bike one of them would be willing to help you out.
    I may even just jump ship and go RockShox. No complaints with rear auto
    sag from Fox. Works great, but they really dropped the ball on the 13 and
    older Talas. So much so guys are converting them to the Float model.

Curious as to what others say about this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts
    and questions.
    That's allot of money!! thanks for your input! I just got back from a ride and have to say after owning this bike for a little over a month, I think I finally got everything working right. The front forks took me the most time to figure out, I did not even realize at first something was wrong with them, until I put a zip tie on and then realized I was not getting allot of travel. Thanks to this forum I was able to find the solution, and Fox is sending me the parts. All I had to do was remove the bath fluid that leaked into the air chamber and then put the correct amount of fluids everywhere and the shock is amazing now. I also bought the fox seal kit and changed all of those. When the scraper washer seal comes from Fox that should fix the issue for good, but for now I guess this is the way the shock is supposed to be. The person who sold me the bike did not say anything to me, I don't think he was very handy with tools. I can now add Fox Shock Service technician to my resume, at least for my models .

After playing with air levels in the front and back and doing the same with rebound, I found a pretty good balance. I felt like I was gliding over the ruff stuff tonight. What a difference it makes when your suspension is working right and set up right. Now that I am starting to get my wind, this sport is getting allot more fun every ride. I still have a little ways to go to get the cardiovascular up to speed but it is coming along fast. Thanks again - I'm sure you will get it worked out, sometimes all it takes is a little time. Talk about dropping some cash, my youngest brother just dropped over a quarter million on a 2014 Ferrari.