mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Trance 2006 , fork upgrade doubts

Hello, I currently own a 2006 Giant Trance with a 100mm fork. I am playing with the idea of upgrading the fork to 120mm. The rear shock it has, is a Fox Float RP3 with 4.2" travel. Since I am a noob, I don't know how this will affect the bike's geometry, riding, etc. it will be really helpful if you guys can help me out making this decision, since money is tight and I don't want to make a huge mistake.

Thanks a lot!

My bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 2010 Trance that I ended up putting a 2010 Marzocchi 44 ti shock. It's been great. You can get some great deals on them online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    120mm fork should be fine, lots of folks have done that. Many air forks can be lowered internally, in case you don't like the result.

It will raise the front slightly so you might want to find tune your handlebar/stem height, if you find it affects your climbing and/or cornering.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thank you for your help! I have been looking at this one . Will use only the 110/120 mm setting. Is it to good to be true? Have been reading reviews online and it seems it is ok.

mtbr member
    Manitou Minute Expert Suspension Fork 130mm Black QR on ebay $325
    Minute Expert 130
    Do a search and read what folks here think. I have trance x with the minute pro 140 and its a super good fork IMHO. Right out of the box works good for me but can be tweaked a lot, also has a platform setting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    A friend run's his with a Revelation set to 140mm and loves it. He claims that and a dropper post have been the two best upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Manitou Minute Expert QR Fork 2012 at Price Point

When choosing a fork look @ the axle to crown height as similar travels can differ.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Hope you didn't buy the xfusion, looks like a tapered steerer, wouldn't fit your trance easily. Plus, it's a 15mm axle, wouldn't fit your front quick release wheel either.
    Probably keens recommendation best at this point, + really cost effective as well.
    Maybe get the 130mm. I run a 140mm on my 08 trance X with 120mm in the rear, no issues whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Being that your's is a trance not a trance X dont go bigger then a 120mm. I am with kneecap be careful what you are looking at, while you can get parts to make a tapered steertube/ 15 mm through axle to work with your bike its not cost effective. As for the change in geometry, I have found that that my trance x with a manitou minute comp 140 climbs almost as good and descend even better that the stock 120

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Manitou Minute Expert QR Fork 2012 at Price Point

When choosing a fork look @ the axle to crown height as similar travels can differ.
    I've bought one of those too, and my order was processed, but the fork's status is "backordered", and it's a 2012 model, so I'm wondering if they will ever ship.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerrogordo View Post
    Hello, I currently own a 2006 Giant Trance with a 100mm fork. I am playing with the idea of upgrading the fork to 120mm.
    120mm will be fine. I know someone with a 2005 Trance who blasts along on a 140mm Pike.

Important though, if you get a fork with a tapered steerer you'll need a new lower headset cup. IIRC all Trances have a 44mm head tube so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks everybody for your help. I haven't bought the fork yet.

Since my last post, I learned that I need a fork with a 9mm QR and a has to be 1 1/8" non tapered. I got more info on the X Fusion fork, and they do sell one with a 9mm QR and 1 1/8" non tapered option, but it only adjusts to 110mm or 140mm travel. Most of the trails here are for XC so not a lot of riders have more than 120mm. Rode with a friend of a friend, who had a 140mm set up and he let me borrow his bike for a few laps, didn't like it all. Most uphills, I had to carry the bike and it felt weird descending, since the travel on the rear shock only has 4.2".

Still looking for the better option. Now I know that more than 120mm will be too much. Any recommendations will be accepted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sooo I ended up buying the X Fusion. Was on my budget and ended up doing some serious research on it. I called today customer support from X Fusion and they were very helpful. They were not trying to push their product, they answered all my questions. I called them three times, first time I left a message and the other two times I got to talk to technical support. The shock only has two settings, that can be adjusted externally, 110mm and 140mm. If you take it apart you can adjust to 100mm/120mm/130mm. The setting, you choose to do internally, will be always in that travel; the external level is only set to adjust it to 110mm or 140mm. I ended up buying the non tapered 1 1/8" with 9mm QR. The steerer tube length is 264mm, more than my actual fork has... so I don't see think this would be a problem. Thanks everybody for your help! A month ago, I didn't knew what to look when buying a fork and thanks to you guys, I may have a basic idea on what to look for.

mtbr member
    If you are not familiar with installing a fork have a shop do it. I did mine yesterday when I replaced my headset and getting the lower race seated and the star nut in correctly, etc is not rocket science but it could be easy to screw up and destroy your HS. I am car mechanic and made a mistake so its possible to screw it up even with decent tools and some knowledge!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the tip. For maintenance and lubing, I have taken out my fork several times on my Trance and HT. Learned from my mistakes, with my entry bike I took it apart and I screwed up the headset.

mtbr member
    I ran the stock reba on my trance at 115mm, and it was great. A little different technique to get used to the slightly more raked out feel, but it was fine. I ran it at 140 with a manitou and it was ridiculous.

110 sounds perfect for the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I took dirkdaddy's advice and took the new fork to be installed in my LBS. I also installed a new headset.

I haven't got the chance to ride it still, but here are some pics to show how it looks.

@110mm

@140mm
    Last edited by cerrogordo; 12-22-2012 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What headset did you install?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A KCNC Kudos