mtbr member

Totem speed lube: should oil spew back out after filling the legs using the syringe?

Hi,

My Totem air had really bad stiction so I decided to do the Speed Lube service. When I removed the screws at the bottom of the legs to drain the oil, hardly any oil came out even though I moved the fork to all different angles and tapped on the legs. Not too surprising since I guess it's pretty common for them not to have enough oil. So then I turned the fork upside down at a 45 degree angle so that the speed lube ports were facing up and used the syringe to add 20 mL of oil, and when I detached the syringe a lot of the new oil spewed out. I guessed at how much came out, re-injected maybe 10 mL, and the same thing happened but I just tried to put the screw back on really fast to minimize the losses. On the other leg I tried waiting a while after pushing the syringe down before removing it to see if the oil just needed to seep in somewhere, but the same thing happened. Has anyone had this happen? Did I do something wrong?

Despite this issue, I think I got at least 15 mL in each leg and the fork feels WAY better, so that's good! I can tell it was worth it to do the service. I just wonder if there's a way to do it better next time to avoid oil spewing back out. Thanks in advance for any tips.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

on my 3rd wind...
    Just a guess but vapor lock? Meaning was your syringe tip air tight againt the speed port?
    sth

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd suggest just pulling the lowers off and servicing the fork that way, at least the first time around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    When you inject oil into the lowers the air inside compresses slightly. My Totem does the same thing. Compress the fork slightly then attach the speed lube syringe and inject the oil. It won't spray out. Pull your lowers off if you feel comfortable doing it (It is really easy and worth while) otherwise just change the semi bath oil regularly.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the tips y'all!
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ya the spewing got annoying, I shoot the oil in with a needle syringe (tip ground off) anymore.