mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Totem: Coil to Soloair conversion and vice versa

I just picked up a totem coil for a screaming deal.

My original plan was to nab a soloair to cut the weight down (this is my do all bike.) I remember reading about people having problems w/the 2-step and converting to the solo-air.

My question: Is it possible to convert the coil to the solo air? Also, does anyone know the appx. cost of the parts from rockshox?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This probably won't help much but I am sure I read a reputable report (for the Lyrik and assume the Totem) that the left leg is designed so that it can be coverted between coil and air. Often there are slight machining differences that don't allow swaps between spring systems. I would also be curious as to the cost as I may want to experiment someday converting my coil Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Sram shows in their listing of parts that the lowers and uppers are both the same... manufactured the same. That means the only thing that changes is the air and coil system. And from what I have seen, they are both interchangeable.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    I asked about doing it the other way........ and got a very informative email back from sram

Please bare in mind that when the fork has been converted, there will likely be some small amount of scratching to the inside of the upper tube due to the spring moving about inside. This would mean that the solo-air system would no longer work properly, so if you decide to convert, it really is something you are committing to, to be a permanent thing.

The parts are as follows…

R5139000 – Totem Coil Top Cap - 21.94
    R5132000 – Totem Coil Preload Spacers - 4.88
    R5160000 – Totem Coil Top-out Spring Assembly - 14.63
    R5133000 – Totem Coil Spring Shaft Assembly - 34.13

And then your choice of spring depending on your style…..

R5135000 – Totem Coil Spring Medium - 29.26
    R5124000 – Totem Coil Spring Firm - 29.26

Best regards,

Scott Burris

So it sounds like its not a goer for you as your stactions will already be a bit scratched by the spring... however the reason that I was en quiring is that although the solo air is superb the coil is so so good that the extra 200grams up front is well worth it!

keep it as it is buddy you wont regret it.

mtbr member
    What are your thoughts on converting a 2 step? i heard it can be done and i have seen one for a great price, but after reading some of the issues people have had i'm not so sure I should get one....

thanks

yet another stupid german
    2step can be converted to coil or soloair, have done it myself. problem with coil to soloair is as noted before that the soloair unit seals run on the inside of the stanchions, if these have been marred by the coils you will have sealing probs, you could insert a 2step cart which is a self sealed cartridge unit and then keep your hands off the 2step-knob (because they definetly have an issue with those) but then again the weight saving is next to zilch.... there have been quite a few reports of boxxer coil (team, race) conversions to the WC soloair unit, which presents the same sealing problems, which have worked succesfully..

conversion to coil is no prob

my2cents

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bit of a bump for an old thread, can Solo Air's be converted to 2 step? I can get some 08 Totem solo's pretty cheap, but would rather dial the travel down a little, which the solo's cannot do.
    Thoughts?

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    You can. But I can't get why anyone would want to transform a reliable fork into a lottery (with bad odds).

Besides, you can't decrease travel a little. Only a lot, since it only allows two positions.

If it's something to set a forget, put a spacer on the Solo Air to reduce the travel more permanently (but still reversible, of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC to whining spammer
    Don't let the nose of your saddle hit you in the @#!#X on the way out.