I Crash Often
    Nov 2006

Tora XC SL Solo Air question

I think I've made up my mind for a new fork for my 2007 GF Wahoo. It has a 100mm Dart 1 fork with no lockout. I want a new fork that is lighter weight, but has better adjustability and ride.

I think the Tora XC SL Solo Air would work for me. I just ride cross country and think this would work. Can anyone vouch for this fork?

Former Bike Wrench
    It would be a significant increase in performance over a Dart 1...but, if you could find a Tora 318 Solo Air or a Tora Race Solo Air, you get a way better damper than the one of the XC SL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The better damper that mtnbiker72 refers to is called by Rock Shox "Motion Control" (the cheaper and lower performance Rock Shox damper is called "TurnKey").

From 2010 Rock Shox Tora line-up, only one Tora has this Motion Control damper:
    Tora Trail 318 U-Turn. This is a coil fork, with adjustable travel in the range 85 mm - 130 mm.

MTB B'dos
    MtnBiker72's suggestion is a good one, HOWEVER, if you're running V-brakes then you'd also need to upgrade at least the front to disc as that Tora doesn't offer post mounts AFAIK - had a friend looking for a new fork and this is what I learned. Now upgrading to a disc wouldn't be hard if your Wahoo already has a disc compatible hub, then you could just purchase a BB7 caliper & rotor and use back your old mech lever. If you have a non disc ready hub then it'd get more expensive. If you already have discs, then no worries.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This Tora 318 U-Turn 2010 has V-Brakes mounts (the picture is from Rock Shox site):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tora XC SL Solo Air question-tora-318-2010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had the XC SL Tora Air on my 2005 Trance 3. I liked it. Much better then the manitou comp (coil spring) that was on the bike.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I have mechanical discs on my bike, so I don't have to worry about switching to them.

Former Bike Wrench
    Cambria Bike has the 2009 Tora Race Solo Air for $300...Complete with Alloy Steerer. The Race is limited to 100mm travel (vs 130mm for the 318) as the stanchions are shorter. But this also saves weight (actual weight is ~4.3lbs, not what Cambria Advertises)

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...sion+Fork+2009

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    I've run a Tora SL for nearly a year now.
    I love it, regardless of the damper.
    Rides quite stiff when I need/want it too, and has held up to a 240lb idiot doing some rough riding.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    A friend of mine had a 2008 Tora 318 Solo Air with brake bosses, so I know they do exist.

mtbr member
    Sorry, decided to start a new thread as to not hijack this one.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Alright, I ordered the RS Tora XC SL Solo Air, 100mm fork. I'll also be adding a Chris King headset and Avid BB7 brakes. I can't wait and hope it feels like a new, improved bike.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006

Here it is.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by keylay

Here it is.
    Trim your brake cable ends...they should be 20mm or less after the pinch bolt to prevent them from catching into your rotor and causing a sudden lock up of your wheel

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Trim your brake cable ends...they should be 20mm or less after the pinch bolt to prevent them from catching into your rotor and causing a sudden lock up of your wheel
    I picked it up from the LBS where I ordered all parts from (headset and BB7 are new) and the tech said to leave them like that for about a week to let the slack out and bring it back and they'de trim them up. I'll do some light riding and then get them snipped. Do you think that is okay or even standard procedure?