mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Topeak E-Shock Master Blaster

Did any one around the globe actually use this shock pump?
    I can't find a single review or any mention of it on any MTB forum no matter how I look.
    Please?

mtbr member
    Anyone? I too am interested in this pump but would like to hear others' experiences. Thanks in advance.

Bodhisattva
    I've played around with one at Mtn High Cyclery. it works as advertised.
    But I have no long-term trail experience.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have one...

I like it, it does the job nicecly and I find it more precise than the regular pumps which is specially useful if you have an SPV type shock. However it is a bit heavy and expensive.

So, in my opinion, if you want to have a shock pump when you go riding then buy it because it's the only pump I found that does both shock and tires. If you don't care about having a shock pump while riding then I guess you can save a few bucks buying a regular shock pump. For me, I would definitely buy it again because I run air fork and shock so I want to have a pump with me while riding.

I would be surprised that I'm the only one with it because I've seen it for sale in a few stores so there must be people buying it. It's just that a shock pump is probably not something a lot of people take time to talk about!!!

By the way, Larry at MtnHighCyclery.com gave me a good price on it...

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt
    Did any one around the globe actually use this shock pump?
    I can't find a single review or any mention of it on any MTB forum no matter how I look.
    Please?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still debating whether or not its worth it though. Maybe I'll give Larry a call and see what he can offer.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Unfortunately everything is a compromise. Besides the Topeak, there is also the newly introduced Specialized Windpipe combo pump, and the X-Fusion Mini Pump.

The Specialized uses an analog guage, but appears to be about the same size as the Topeak unit. The Windpipe's guage only goes as high as 220 or 230 psi, which probably offers better accuracy at lower settings but ain't going to cut it for big guys that need 250 psi.

The X-Fusion has the right idea but is poorly executed. It's a truly compact unit, making it more suitable for carrying in a Camelbak. I own this pump, and for something to be used only occasionally, it gets the job done and stays out of the way the rest of the time. Unfortunately, the pumping action stinks -- it's a little sticky at either end of the stroke where the piston seal gets caught up on the threads inside the barrel. Not a dealbreaker, though.

The switchable presta/schrader valve - the same as the one featured on the Topeak unit -- is junk. It screws on to a schrader valve stem just fine, but trying to squeeze it on to your tire's presta valve stem is frustrating. I've found it easier to carry a small brass presta to schrader valve stem adapter, and screw that into the end of the pump if I need to air up a flat.

It lacks a pressure guage, so you'll not be able to use this as your full time shock pump (nor would you want to). But for a rare blown shock on the trail, you're probably riding out in limp mode anyway, and precise air pressure measurement is likely of minor concern.

It'll get a flat filled to riding pressure, but it takes a bit more effort than standard pumps. If you flat alot, this probably isn't a pump you'll be happy with. If flats are a once-in-a-while occurance, it's no big deal. Maybe an extra minute or two, tops, over a really efficient dedicated compact tire pump (how I'd love a foldable 'T' handle on this thing).

The main thing is it's compact and hides out of the way easily. I'll bet money that the Specialized works better, and the same probably goes for the Topeak even though it shares the funky valve connector, but the large size of both doesn't appeal to me. I'll put up with the X-Fusion and its difficulties until a better *compact* design shows up.

Last edited by Speedüb Nate; 07-24-2004 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    FYI, in case anyone is interested, REI.com has the Topeak E-Shock Master Blaster on sale for ~$50 in the outlet section (linky). Take care.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member

Actually, I saw that (via a froogle search). I went with rei for the following reasons:

(1) free in-store pickup (granted, one is charged tax)
    (2) if this thing fails, rei will take it back no questions asked

Having said that, I have no experience purchasing from campmor and they may well be a good retailer. I just went with rei because there is an rei near me and if anything happens to the pump, I can just return it to the store.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Got it for less...

from Larry at MtnHighCyclery. Maybe worth it to give him a call...

I opened up a Specialized Windpipe yesterday and while I didn't use it, here are some impressions:

It's definitely a big pump, easily the size of the 12" long Topeak eShock. But it's got a smooth, solid feel to it, unlike my chingadera X-Fusion.

It has the sturdy foldable 'T' handle, unlike the harpoon handle of the eShock.

Unfortunately, the guage is limited to only 220 psi. I'm curious if the digital eShock and analog Windpipe guages are accurate in the 30psi range, the 100 range, and the 200+ range.

Instead of the cheesy and clumsy dual presta/schrader that the X-Fusion and Topeak use, Specialized took my approach and includes a Presta->Schrader adapter that screws in to the a standard shock pump no-bleed coupling.

Last edited by Speedüb Nate; 07-27-2004 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Nate, please post your impressions of the specialized pump once you've had the chance to check it out. Do you have any info on the weight of that pump? Also, could you post pics of the mounting clip? Many thanks. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    Hey Nate, please post your impressions of the specialized pump once you've had the chance to check it out. Do you have any info on the weight of that pump? Also, could you post pics of the mounting clip? Many thanks. Take care.
    I didn't buy it, just pillaged through the packaging to check it out.

The mounting clamp looks something like the eShock's, a big plastic affair with a hinged plastic clasp to lock it in place. No idea on the weight, but it was neither "lightweight" like a normal tire pump its size, nor did it strike me as "heavy". If I had to guess, I'd put it in the 275g range.

I might be back in the shop later this week to pick up some stuff; I'll ask if they have one I can try out and get an impression of it. It would be interesting to compare it to my X-Fusion.

mtbr member

Topeak pump on clearance at REI

FYI, REI now has the Topeak E-Shock Master Blaster on clearance for ~$25 (free shipping if one uses in store pickup). link
    Last edited by lushmd; 10-02-2004 at 10:11 AM. Reason: sp
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i've had the master blaster e shock for, hmmm, 6 months approx. as a shock pump, it works pretty well. the digital readout is great.

as a tire pump, it's pretty pathetic compared to my topeak master blaster standard pump. i.e. it works about as well as other small tire pumps--actually, a little worse. the two stage stroke feels clunky and ineffective. however, for smaller tires (2.0 inch), it would probably be okay if you very rarely get flats.

Bodhisattva
    So no good as tire pump?
    bummer. That REI price is tough to beat.

Anyone else have feedback? There aren't any reviews in the Product Review section.
    Life....the original terminal illness