mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Too little oil causing fork to not use full travel? (2010 Boxxer team)

I have been riding my boxxer team for quite awhile now. Used to be on a medium spring and is now on the soft spring but is still struggling to use up the last inch and a half of travel on my fork.

I had always suspected that the fork might have too much oil in the damper causing it to not use up it's full travel and I have finally got around to open up the top of the damper tonight and check the oil level.

According to the technical from sram, the distance between the top of the upper tube to the top of the oil level should be 152mm. My measurement came out to be 230mm, which is MUCH lower than the correct oil level.

I thought only too much oil would stop the fork from using its full travel. Could too little oil also cause this? Maybe the missing damper oil have leaked into the fork lowers filling it up causing the fork to not use up its full travel???

(I did the measurement while the fork is still installed on the bike but had it mounted on a work stand to unweight the fork)
    Last edited by mgv101; 02-16-2012 at 11:04 AM.

EDR
    Maybe the missing damper oil have leaked into the fork lowers filling it up causing the fork to not use up its full travel??
    Bingo.

Drain the lower damper side fork leg and I'll bet you the fork compresses all the way. Tell tale sign of hydrolock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    bump for my 2006 u-turn boxxer. I have about 4 inches of travel, and wonder what the fix is if this is happening
    Michael
    old guy

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    bump for my 2006 u-turn boxxer. I have about 4 inches of travel, and wonder what the fix is if this is happening
    Too much oil in the damper side or oil migrated to the lowers causing a hard stop short of full travel. If you have not just serviced it then too much oil in the damper is not really possible. The only obvious answer is hydrolock. A damper seal rebuild (orings around the rebound damper) is in order...most likely. Drain the lower damper side, if full travel can be had after that then you know you have leaked oil into the lowers. I have never owned a Boxxer so maybe there are some nuances I'm missing, ikd for sure.