View Poll Results: What to do with my bike...

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell it as scrap and buy something newer?

1 100.00%
  • Send it to the bike shop to be fully serviced 223?

0 0%
  • Service myself including servicing the forks and rear shock

0 0%
  • Service myself and send front and rear shock away to be serviced

0 0%
  • Keep it - Service it myself and buy a new Front and rear shock.

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! TLC required - Gary Fisher Rockshox Judy XL & Super Deluxe service

Hi all,

I've been away from mountain biking for some time now. I still have my old 1999 Gary Fisher Level Betty FH1 in Lime Green!!! It hasnt been in use for the past 3-4 years! It's always been stored in doors. I was contemplating on selling it as scrap and buying something new, but I tihnk the fact I know I havent ridden it too hard and the sentimental value is telling me to see if I can get it up and running as it did before.

A Full service (90), front (75) and rear shock (45), front disc bleed 13.50, Totalling 223.50... Im thinking for that sort of money I should buy all the gear I need and do it myself and learn something

I now plan on getting the bike back on the road asap for the UK summer which is fast apporaching.

The front brake needs a bleed, think I can resolve this easy enough without asking any questions. Not sure about all the components but im hoping it will all just need de-greasing and re-lubricating and a few minor tweaks. Im going to replace the cable set on the bike and give it a set of new inner tubes, tyres looks good with plenty of tread.

The rear shock is a rockshox super deluxe long travel, its making some weird sqeeking/squelching noise at the moment, maybe if I ride it for a bit it will sort itself out, although I reckon it could do with a good service, has anyone on here serviced one of these before? What will I need in terms of tools and supplies etc

The Front shock is a RockShox Judy XL which feels very soft at the moment, probably also needs a good service. Has anyone got any information on doing this, what will I need in terms of tools and supplies etc

I've never serviced any suspension of any sort although keen to have a go at it. What concerns me is if it needs parts when I take them apart I can imagine they are quite hard to get a hold of being from 1998...

Thanks in advance.

Spec info FYI...

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Fisher Genesis aluminum w/replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Judy XL
    Fork Material Aluminum/magnesium, double triple-clamp crown
    Rear Shock Rock Shox Super Deluxe w/handlebar-mounted damping adjuster, 5.3" travel

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Hayes Hydraulic Disc Brake System/Avid 1D 10 rear brakes, Hayes/Avid AD 1.0 rear levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Deore LX RapidFire SL
    Front Derailleur Shimano STX top-swing, top-pull
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT SGS
    Crankset Sugino Impel 300, 20/32/42 teeth
    Pedals ICON clipless
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-UN52, 113mm spindle
    BB Shell Width 73mm English
    Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 30 teeth
    Chain Sachs PC-41, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Aluminum micro-adjust, 27.2mm diameter
    Saddle Titec Berserker
    Handlebar Bontrager Crow
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Bontrager aluminum
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Aheadset Kontak ST-2

Wheels
    Hubs Front: Hayes, Rear: Shimano STX-RC
    Rims Bontrager, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.10" WTB TyranaRaptor
    Spoke Brand DT stainless steel, 2.0mm double-butted
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bump

Sent from my Vega using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would sell it, unless you want to start a collection. The suspension design is terrible, the fork and shock are not worth servicing, and the bike is too old to use as a serious mountain bike. You won't get much for it, but I would love to add it to my collection...