Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arcdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    180

    Are there any manufactures still making suspension forks with 1" steerers?

    Looking for a nicer suspension fork with 1" steerer and disc tabs if any of you know about any?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,968

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    And they are all utter crap. The only option is ebay for an old Marzocchi Z2 (Atom or not), older Judy Hydracoils (not a bad fork actually) and some older TPC Manitou SX forks. They were all made in limited numbers as 1" forks and for the most part, can still work really well. In fact, with the open bath Zoke or Judy, the performance is really better than most stuff today! The only negative is the weight, which is heavy, and the stiffness, which is less. But if you are a light rider, it is not much of a problem.

    The other issue is disc compatibility but most of those forks did come with disc brake mounts.

    My wife has an old Bianchi Grizzly RC, circa 1995. Made in Italy with thin pipes. She loves it and refuses to get rid of it. I am always looking for replacement forks for it, so I am in the same boat as the OP!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arcdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arcdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    And they are all utter crap. The only option is ebay for an old Marzocchi Z2 (Atom or not), older Judy Hydracoils (not a bad fork actually) and some older TPC Manitou SX forks. They were all made in limited numbers as 1" forks and for the most part, can still work really well. In fact, with the open bath Zoke or Judy, the performance is really better than most stuff today! The only negative is the weight, which is heavy, and the stiffness, which is less. But if you are a light rider, it is not much of a problem.

    The other issue is disc compatibility but most of those forks did come with disc brake mounts.

    My wife has an old Bianchi Grizzly RC, circa 1995. Made in Italy with thin pipes. She loves it and refuses to get rid of it. I am always looking for replacement forks for it, so I am in the same boat as the OP!
    Thanks. I kinda figured that about the RST forks.

    Hard to believe none of the big fork guys have a 1" option available.

    I will use the above listed and check eBay

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flucod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    575
    I believe Manitou will custom one for you, but last time i checked they wanted $1500 to do it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arcdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    I believe Manitou will custom one for you, but last time i checked they wanted $1500 to do it.
    Wow!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by arcdesigns View Post
    Hard to believe none of the big fork guys have a 1" option available.

    why do you find that hard to believe? There hasn't been a high end frame with a 1" head tube made in 15 years. 1" head tubes were obsolete long before disc brakes existed.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arcdesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    why do you find that hard to believe?
    Because vintage mountain bikes are worth so much money and are highly collectable. Although its true that for a collector a time correct fork would be desirable most of them are also riders so the option of a modern fork would be tempting.

    As Flucod posted above Manitou has costumers willing to pay big bucks for one.

  10. #10
    Glass Breaker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    128
    White brothers can press one in to older than Loop model forks for a reasonable price. They may even be able to sell you a complete fork. I got a quote for a 1" threadless steerer in my XC-4 at $75 plus shipping a year or so ago...

Similar Threads

  1. Old 1" steer tube suspension forks
    By Michael L in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 07:16 AM
  2. Who still makes 1" threaded suspension forks??
    By Bigfoot in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
  4. Best Suspension Forks for 20" and 24"
    By Asmodeus2112 in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
  5. No 1.5" steerers on 2011 Forks?
    By philhumphrey in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •