banned
    Jun 2013

TFTuned RS Pike Push upgrade = Way overpriced

Push is asking 219 dollars for a rebuild+tune of a Pike, while TF is asking 179 pounds [277$!] for a rebuild+tune, Isn't this a scam or what?!

mtbr member
    It's only a scam if you can do the rebuild and tune on your own... Most bike shops will only do a rebuild (which is easy enough to do by yourself) but a tune will require some knowledge of how to modify the spring and compression cart and the tools to be able to do so...

mtbr member
    If the tune includes their rebound damper with shims it sounds like a nice deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Best $200 I've ever spent on my bike went to PUSH. I've wasted a lot of money through growing pains in this sport thinking I was getting an 'upgrade'. The difference is a properly tuned suspension from PUSH and other good tuning companies is actually an upgrade. It transformed the way my bike handled and gave me a ton more confidence to ride harder.

Bike's hmmm nice

Usa prices are mostly stated without vat. Deduct the 20% vat of the uk price and that might explain a bit. Push tune on my rp2 shock was a 125 pounds very well spend by the way.

mtbr member
    Nope, not a scam. If you want it, pay for it. If you don't want their service, don't pay for it. Not that complicated.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt-MonoLinkrijder View Post
    Push is asking 219 dollars for a rebuild+tune of a Pike, while TF is asking 179 pounds [277$!] for a rebuild+tune, Isn't this a scam or what?!
    What would you charge???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt-MonoLinkrijder View Post
    For UK work you need to add 20% VAT to the price. Even if you send it to PUSH in the US and get the cheaper price HMRC will get you for their 20% when the fork re-enters the UK (this has happened to customers of mine with PUSH and AVA stuff).

With VAT the PUSH tune works out at $262 + shipping from PUSH direct, so ten bucks in it. TF tuned are a good bunch either way, I agree they are pretty expensive, if price is an issue J-Tech are equally legit but a bit cheaper.

What?
    You get a brand new rebound damper with shimmed high speed rebound circuit and a midvalve, and a complete rebuild with arguably better seals then you can buy. Seems like a reasonable price to me.

mtbr member
    It's the same thing as their Boxxer kit which you can install yourself but not with the Pike so I'm in your corner. Especially after my recent go-around with them (PUSH) where they wouldn't sell me just the parts even though I'd already purchased 2 iterations of their Pike Factory System in the past. Their seals are no better than stock and the whole cost is ridiculous. But they did do the legwork on the rebound system and it does work much better so... buy it once and do all the consequent maintenance on it yourself.

Have FUN!!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    It's the same thing as their Boxxer kit which you can install yourself but not with the Pike so I'm in your corner. Especially after my recent go-around with them (PUSH) where they wouldn't sell me just the parts even though I'd already purchased 2 iterations of their Pike Factory System in the past. Their seals are no better than stock and the whole cost is ridiculous. But they did do the legwork on the rebound system and it does work much better so... buy it once and do all the consequent maintenance on it yourself and tell them to kiss your monkey a$$ is what I did.

Have FUN!!

G MAN
    We are talking about two different types of seals. You are talking about fork seals, which push uses stock rock shox seals, so you are correct in saying those are not going to be any better. I am talking about the lock head seal, which Push uses polyurethane seals that greatly reduce seal friction on the rebound shaft compared to a standard o-ring that you or I would be using when doing a rebuild. Some people may say that doesnt matter, most would agree its an upgrade.

That said, I agree with the do it once to get the rebound damper upgrade, then do the maintenance yourself, assuming the user is comfortable doing so. Once you buy the factory tune, you would only need to pay for a standard rebuild for maintenance if you dont do it yourself. Pretty reasonable price for that IMO.

The rebound damper is far better than a dual flow rebound damper from rock shox and ridiculously better the crap port orifice damper that comes stock in most rock shox forks(including the pike).

What I don't get, is why people come on here to complain about it costing too much. If you dont feel its worth the price, don't buy it. Most of the people who think it cost to much probably wouldn't notice ride hard enough or in technical enough terrain to notice the difference anyway

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I paid for a complete overhaul and tune from push. I couldn't believe I spent the money, after I rode it, I can't believe I waited that long.

In short my fork rides so much better then it ever has before.

Well worth the cash at push

Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    We are talking about two different types of seals. You are talking about fork seals, which push uses stock rock shox seals, so you are correct in saying those are not going to be any better. I am talking about the lock head seal, which Push uses polyurethane seals that greatly reduce seal friction on the rebound shaft compared to a standard o-ring that you or I would be using when doing a rebuild. Some people may say that doesnt matter, most would agree its an upgrade.

That said, I agree with the do it once to get the rebound damper upgrade, then do the maintenance yourself, assuming the user is comfortable doing so. Once you buy the factory tune, you would only need to pay for a standard rebuild for maintenance if you dont do it yourself. Pretty reasonable price for that IMO.

The rebound damper is far better than a dual flow rebound damper from rock shox and ridiculously better the crap port orifice damper that comes stock in most rock shox forks(including the pike).

What I don't get, is why people come on here to complain about it costing too much. If you dont feel its worth the price, don't buy it. Most of the people who think it cost to much probably wouldn't notice ride hard enough or in technical enough terrain to notice the difference anyway
    Correct and agreed. Readers should note, however, that the RS rebound system did move away from the port orifice system to dual flow rebound when they came out with the Black Box system so... the newer Revelations (among others) would be a total waste of coin to send to these aftermarket guys IMHO.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    ... the newer Revelations (among others) would be a total waste of coin to send to these aftermarket guys IMHO.
    What? Do newer Revelations and others really use midvalve? I'm really surprised if midvalve is present in factory condition.

Save Jesus
    No, the rock shox dampers don't have mid valve. However, I still believe that the Push rebound damper is even better than the Black Box damper. I say this even never having seen the Push damper. I have "re-valved" and dyno'd the RS damper, and I just can't get it to flow enough at high speeds. I ended up making my own piston. But for normal people, I would recommend the Push damper. Which they won't sell individually. I know why, but it still annoys me.