Give'r or go home!!

Talk me into taking apart my 2001 Z1 FR MCR

I've never done my own oil change in my fork, but I just bought myself a jug and I'm going to have a go at it this weekend. I'd like to take the fork completely apart and really clean it out. I've never done it, but I am reasonably comfortable with the idea. Do you think I should go ahead and give it a go? Are there any common mistakes that I should avoid? I would really appreciate any tips, tricks, or suggestions. Thanks for your advice.
    The more you give'r the more fun you have!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by giverpig
    I've never done my own oil change in my fork, but I just bought myself a jug and I'm going to have a go at it this weekend. I'd like to take the fork completely apart and really clean it out. I've never done it, but I am reasonably comfortable with the idea. Do you think I should go ahead and give it a go? Are there any common mistakes that I should avoid? I would really appreciate any tips, tricks, or suggestions. Thanks for your advice.
    It is really easy and you can't hurt anything. I mean, you could, if you started smacking things around with the damper shafts, once removed from the fork.

Anyway. Undo the top caps first, then undo the nuts at the bottom of the legs. Have some yoghurt containers or a big oil pan under the fork as black, stinky, viscous, goo will ooze out, given that you haven't changed the oil. A lot of paper towels or, better, a couple of old t-shirts to get everything nice and clean. You could also soak the dampers in some rubbing alcohol after you wipe the oil off, to really get them clean.

Make sure you'll cycle the dampers when you remove them from the legs and slide the spring off of them. There's a lot of nasty dirty oil in them and if you don't get all of it out, you only did half an oil change.

Your fork will be a whole new animal after the oil change. You'll be pretty amazed.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Give'r or go home!!

Thanks MK

I'll give it a try over the weekend. I'm not sure how to cycle it, but I'm guess that it becomes obvious once you get inside. Thanks again. I appreicate it.
    The more you give'r the more fun you have!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by giverpig
    I'll give it a try over the weekend. I'm not sure how to cycle it, but I'm guess that it becomes obvious once you get inside. Thanks again. I appreicate it.
    Cycle = pump the fork up and down to eject the old oil out of the dampers. If the oil looks really ugly, it's worth flushing again with some fresh oil till it comes out fairly clean.