mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Talas Mods? 2009 Fox Talas 32mm RLC with 15mmQR, JC approved

Any mods that can be done to a 2009 Talas to improve performance? Also is it possible to turn it into a float?

I have been thinking about sending my fork to push, but I think I want to get a fork that will have just 130mm travel. My fork is a 100/120/140 15mm qr. I never ride it in the 100 and find myself not happy in the 140 setting. The 120 feels good but I am not getting all the 120 travel.

Any help would be great.

PS I have no problems other then I wonder what mods riders are doing to their foxs. Oh yeah and I want to beable to get all of my 120mm travel.
    Last edited by KenDobson; 01-03-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Yes, you can convert your TALAS fork to a Float and have it set to what ever travel setting you want.

Personally, I think Fox 32 TALAS forks have issues. How many people are using dramatically less than the recommended air pressure to get proper sag? Like close to 50 lbs for people close to 200lbs. It turns out that is a sign of a faulty TALAS system.

Stuff like this pisses me off so much that I myself may launch a class action lawsuit to make them fix some of their issues. And no, I am not kidding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you are running much lower of a preassure than recommended on a 36 Talas, what might be wrong with the Talas?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Stuff like this pisses me off so much that I myself may launch a class action lawsuit to make them fix some of their issues. And no, I am not kidding.
    That would be a costly venture. But I agree, a product that doesn't perform like it is advertised as.....something wrong and Fox needs to fix the problem. I think the problem is with the neg air system compared to the pos air system..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My 08 Talas 32 RLC is rubbish, we had a rant about these on the Ibis forum. Now saying this I did ride a 09 36 R and I was pretty impressed, whether the 08 36 is fine as well I do not know? The guy in the shop said it was a problem with the low/high speed compression adjustment, if this part could be removed then that may solve the issues??
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

banned
    First, I just wanted to address that lots of people just call their forks "Fox TALAS". Fox has several different talas models and many threads go without qualifying even travel to figure out which model it is. They are very different, so it helps to actually say which model it is.

As far as mods go, there are none. Grease the seals with a slick grease, or convert to Float, which is inexpensive. On my 36 TALAS, I removed the IFP air, although I could probably have just gone down in pressure from the 150, which is way too much. Additionally, the ifp piston's inside and outside seals were lubed, as I think sticking was causing part of the symptoms. The piston has a very tight seal on the center shaft and likely enough to cause a lot of sticking.

My TALAS was too linear in the beginning, and would excessively sag on balance changes. This was owing to puting air in for preload properly, then having the IFP move up and out of the way, then suddenly the air chamber backing the IFP was too progressive around the last 60% of the stroke making full travel impossible, even with hydraulic bottom out set to a minimum. There is no way this was linear, and would likely show an S curve on progressivity graphs. Now my fork is very linear and I get full travel, plus sag is right on. I just have to add more hydraulic bottom out control on the damper side, while others without these assemblies can add some IFP air, which would help make it progressive. I don't know how fox put "linear" in the term "TALAS" because it's not linear, except when it's blowing through the first 60% of the stroke. It's ultimately progressive and the new 09 36 TALAS was actually made linear and they removed the IFP. Interesting how they essentially did what I did. I left the IFP in there because I didn't know if its own seals were needed to keep the main chamber from leaking under compressions.

The fork rocks now, but YMMV.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 01-03-2009 at 02:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    As far as mods go, there are none. Grease the seals with a slick grease, or convert to Float, which is inexpensive.
    My problem has been with the RLC as said above. The guy I spoke to implied that you could keep the talas (so adjustable travel) but effectively remove the low speed compression part of the fork, i.e. to make it into a RL which is suppose to be a much better fork in terms of getting full travel and small bump compliance??
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

banned
    What is the problem with your damper? Is the resolution to exchange it with an R unit, or actually do a modification to remove a compression assembly?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by GBR1
    My 08 Talas 32 RLC is rubbish, we had a rant about these on the Ibis forum. Now saying this I did ride a 09 36 R and I was pretty impressed, whether the 08 36 is fine as well I do not know? The guy in the shop said it was a problem with the low/high speed compression adjustment, if this part could be removed then that may solve the issues??
    I wonder if PUSH solves the low/high speed compression issue? I've only had rear shocks PUSHed and they transform the performance from stock. I can only imagine getting the Talas 32 Pushed. I would do it on my 2007 Talas but I am moving to a thru axle fork as soon as I can decide which one.

mtbr member
    I have a 07 talas 32 100/120/140 and have noticed that I have to run 60 PSI instead of the recommended 80 PSI for my weight (180) does this mean something is wrong with it?

Captain Underpants
    whether the 08 36 is fine as well I do not know? The guy in the shop said it was a problem with the low/high speed compression adjustment, if this part could be removed then that may solve the issues??
    I have an 08 36R and it has been an excellent fork, I have had zero issues with it, other than the bottom out resistance being set a bit high for my tastes. Granted, it would appear Fox sent out a bunch of these without enough oil, but once you get that fixed the fork is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Personally, I think Fox 32 TALAS forks have issues. How many people are using dramatically less than the recommended air pressure to get proper sag? Like close to 50 lbs for people close to 200lbs. It turns out that is a sign of a faulty TALAS system.
    Sag is only a starting point.

I'm curious how lower than recommended air pressure indicates a faulty TALAS system. The 36s also take less than recommended air pressure, as do the F29s. Are these forks all bad now? Not disagreeing with your point, as 32s do have known issues.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 01-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    ... lots of people just call their forks "Fox TALAS". Fox has several different talas models and many threads go without qualifying even travel to figure out which model it is. They are very different, so it helps to actually say which model it is.
    On my 36 TALAS, ........
    JC, this is a killer
    Other than not mentioning your damper type, I agree with all details - i followed your guidelines and my '08 36 Talas RC2 feels increadible compared to what was before.
    A very nice and easy mod indeed.
    Ah, adding oil to a stock fork helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I stated my fork is a 09 talas 140mm with 15mm qr. So other then leaving out RLC not sure what else you need, 32mm? Is that enough info to give me advise on mods or dumping for a magura thor 140?

banned
    Your title. To be honest, you were also vague on what your exact problem with the fork is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Fixed it up! :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I wonder if PUSH solves the low/high speed compression issue? I've only had rear shocks PUSHed and they transform the performance from stock. I can only imagine getting the Talas 32 Pushed. I would do it on my 2007 Talas but I am moving to a thru axle fork as soon as I can decide which one.
    I phoned push here in the UK, they would not PUSH my fork, they would service it but they said it would only make a very small improvement, it is a Fox Talas 32 RLC 2008 model just in case JC gets grumpy! I did not at the time think of trying to make it in to a R and RL, so maybe this would have helped, anyway its off the program..

KenD, I am now running the Thor and really liking it, its much stiffer than the Fox, but also I get full travel and small bump compliance!! Oh and after paying 600 I don't need to pull it apart, add oil or service it to get it to work!

Cheers

GBR1
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

squish is good
    just in case JC gets grumpy!
    Well, thats a given most of the time. Good thing he knows his crap about a TALAS setup or else nobody would like him .
    Bike good, work bad.

banned
    XOXOXOXO

Love,

JC