mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Talas CTD 32 120-150mm - adding oil in the air chamber?

I'm trying to figure out if I can add more fox fluid in the air chamber to make the fork more progressive and avoid bottom-outs.

I did this on my float 34 and the result was great so now a friend is asking me to do the same on his Talas.

Can this be done? I'm concerned that the negative chamber will be unbalanced. Does anyone have a schematic that I can use? I could not find any details on the Fox Tech support site.

Thx
    Last edited by sancycling; 12-30-2012 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I know there are many suspension experts in the forum. I would appreciate some help understanding how to do this.

Thx

mtbr member
    32 mm TALAS III Spring Service

People employ the "fix" you describe on Floats because they are easy to service and it's simple to adjust the amount of fluid if you don't get it right.
    TALAS 3 air spring is different and your efforts may or may not provide the solution your friend is looking for. Same theory applies, but the Talas spring can be more fickle.
    Meaning, it's easy to make the fork feel like complete garbage and limit the travel.
    The link above shows you what you need for the Talas 3 air spring.

Vorsprung Suspension
    Oct 2012
    The simple answer is no - Floats have no (deliberate) oil pathway between the positive air chamber and the lowers (where the coil negative chamber is housed), however the TALAS system allows air (and therefore oil) to transfer between positive and negative chambers. Adding oil to the positive chamber will mean it all ends up in the negative chamber, making things excessively harsh.
    VorsprungSuspension.com - fully engineered suspension retuning & servicing in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the responses.
    I was afraid to get these answers but at least I know it can't be done like in the Float.

Are there any other "fixes" to make the Talas more progressive?

Vorsprung Suspension
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    Thanks for the responses.
    I was afraid to get these answers but at least I know it can't be done like in the Float.

Are there any other "fixes" to make the Talas more progressive?
    The simplest way to do that would be to affix solid spacers to either the underside of the top cap, or the top of the main piston. This would involve cutting something out yourself and (very carefully and thoughtfully) gluing it to either top cap or main piston. This isn't something I recommend doing though, because there is a pretty substantial risk that the spacer will become detached from whatever it's glued to, and damage delicate (and expensive) parts of the TALAS system.
    VorsprungSuspension.com - fully engineered suspension retuning & servicing in Whistler, BC.