mauna ona liquid
    Sep 2004

Swinger SPV losing air pressure

I installed a new Manitou Swinger 3-way on my all-mountain bike a couple of months ago. I weigh 180 and set the sag at about 5/8", with about 140 psi in the SPV chamber and 130 in the main. (I've tried other combinations too). I haven't done any drops more than about 2 or 3 feet. My problem is that after I ride an hour or so, my SPV pressure is down to 40 or 50 psi while the main chamber stays about the same.

Is this normal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    According to this:

http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_f...etUp_guide.pdf

...you set it too high in the first place. Granted, this is the SPV pressure for the Swinger setup on a Prophet, but I would guess that they don't differ much from bike to bike.

My SPV pressure was going to zero too. After pumping it one time, the valve actually started to come out of the shock body while I was unscrewing the shock pump. Fluid and air came out and everything- it was quite unsettling. I called my boy at the LBS and he called his boy at Manitou. Apparently these do come loose. To tighten it, you take out the valve core and insert a 3mm allen into the stem.

You may want to try doing that.

mauna ona liquid
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maphead
    According to this:

http://www.cannondale.com/Asset/iu_f...etUp_guide.pdf

...you set it too high in the first place. Granted, this is the SPV pressure for the Swinger setup on a Prophet, but I would guess that they don't differ much from bike to bike.

My SPV pressure was going to zero too. After pumping it one time, the valve actually started to come out of the shock body while I was unscrewing the shock pump. Fluid and air came out and everything- it was quite unsettling. I called my boy at the LBS and he called his boy at Manitou. Apparently these do come loose. To tighten it, you take out the valve core and insert a 3mm allen into the stem.

You may want to try doing that.
    Thanks. I've been using presta valves so long I'll have to find a schrader valve core remover. When I do I'll try it.