mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Which suspension fork for V-Brakes?

Hi,

I've got an old '95 Kona Kilauea that originally came with a Marzocchi XCR fork.

I'd like to upgrade to a newer 100mm fork, but it's difficult to find a current suspension for that has v-brake bosses. I do have an older Marzocchi Bomber 2, but the steerer is cut about 1.5" shorter than I'd like.

My local bike shop has a Rockshox Recon Silver TK, but I'm wondering if there are others?

Thanks,

O.C.C. member
    Hey Silvestri,I'm in a very similar situation.

I've got a 2001 Kona Lava Dome that came with a Rockshox Jett.I've found a few to consider but I'm not sure what size will work for me (85mm,100mm,etc) I'm looking for something in the $200 range,which I think most forks with disc and v-brake bosses are.Here are 3 that I found.The Recon Silver TK looks good to me also.

RockShox Dart 3 2010 Forks Reviews

RockShox Tora Trail 302 U-Turn 2010 Forks Reviews

This is the one I like best,just not sure 100mm will work?

Rock Shox Recon Silver Suspension Fork -- Performance Exclusive - Performance Exclusive Components

Here's a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which suspension fork for V-Brakes?-pdrm1584.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you want something new, then your best choice is the Manitou R7. You can also find them pretty easily on eBay. If you don't mind used, then Foxes used to be available with v-brake bosses, as did the RS Reba and the new RS SID.

I would avoid the RS Dart like the plague, and the Tora and Recon you listed have the rubbish TurnKey damper. I would avoid those as well.

Former Bike Wrench
    Manitou Match Comp and Minute Expert are both available with v-brake posts. I'd stick with 80mm for a 1995 frame though.

http://www.amazon.com/Manitou-Match-.../dp/B004JKGUTM
    Manitou Minute Expert Black QR in Tree Fort Bikes Forks (cat82)

Both would trounce a Recon Silver TK performance wise.

O.C.C. member
    Those Manitous are lookin very good,thanks for pointing me in that direction!

The R7 might be the one I'd go for.

Is it really that bad to increase the travel by 20mm ? The 80mm are $100-$200 more than the 100mm.Seems like a very small amount,but I guess small amounts make a big difference.Dont know if you can set sag on this fork,couldnt you set it a bit lower to compensate?

Sorry Silvestri,didnt mean to hijack your post
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Cornfield; 06-28-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Those Manitous are lookin very good,thanks for pointing me in that direction!

The R7 might be the one I'd go for.

Is it really that bad to increase the travel by 20mm ? The 80mm are $100-$200 more than the 100mm.Seems like a very small amount,but I guess small amounts make a big difference.Dont know if you can set sag on this fork,couldnt you set it a bit lower to compensate?

Sorry Silvestri,didnt mean to hijack your post
    Thanks!
    The OP has a 1995 frame which would have been designed around a 50mm travel fork...so even a 80mm fork is a big step. Since there really aren't any forks with less than 80mm travel that is the best option.

For you, since your frame is a 2001 it probably was designed around a 80mm fork. So a 100mm fork is not as much of a big step.

What?
    FYI, Minute experts are internally adjustable between 80 and 100mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I should look at 80mm.

For some reason I though I should be looking at 100mm forks.. sorry. I managed to find the manuals for the Marzocchi XCR that would have come with the "Race Light" version of the bike and it is indeed 50mm.

Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension

mtnbiker72 - thanks for setting me straight. I'll try to source one locally (well, in Canada anyways) before I look international.

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to revalve one of the two Manitou's you suggested down to 50mm travel..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    how long is that fork tube

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    do they make a 11" fork tube