I Have Gnarly Potential

Suspension Fork Grease Question

I'm about to swap in a different travel kit in my Rockshox SID, I picked up Buzzy's Slick Honey grease and have some Finishline Fluoro teflon grease I use for all other components. The Service manual recommended Buzzy's Slick Honey and a different brand o-ring grease (I'm assuming this doesn't have to be as specific as the Slick Honey?), but they don't really go into specifics on what grease to use where, mentioning Slick Honey only when greasing the inner side of the wiper seals. Does this mean I should be using my Finishline grease in all locations they say to grease and the Slick Honey only on the seals?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I use graphite grease.

moaaar shimz
    On a fork or shock only use slick honey, don't use anything else.

otb club member
    We've been backordered for a while, but Super Slick Grease by Rock 'n' Roll is also good. It's what it's designed for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    On a fork or shock only use slick honey, don't use anything else.
    But the SIDs an air fork. Isn't that too thick for the air seals? Wouldn't something like Fox Fluid be better? I've never used Slick Honey so I'm genuinely asking.

mtbr member
    Most forks these days are air forks and most grease on the air seals. Fox seem to be keen on their fluid as opposed to grease, but Rockshox recommend using grease in their service manuals, so I don't think you'd have any issues (especially with the SID).
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about this recently. Grease seems like a poor sealant for the piston in an air fork. I would have thought a thick oil would be better. It occurred to me that maybe Rockshox favour thicker grease because their single-air forks have a port in the cylinder wall to allow the upper and lower chambers to equalize and a thinner oil would escape down through it. Just a thought.

Fox Fluid is a lot thinner than the red grease Rockshox use in their forks.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    But the SIDs an air fork. Isn't that too thick for the air seals? Wouldn't something like Fox Fluid be better? I've never used Slick Honey so I'm genuinely asking.
    The PM6000 Military Grease O-Ring Lube which RS lists on their service documentation is thick solid grease.......it clings to the o-rings. Works good and it's cheap compared to Slick Honey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    The Grease which RS use works good and it's cheap compared to Slick Honey
    I certainly seems to work fine. What I'm wondering is whether they use it because of the air port in their dual-air forks. I think dual-air came in around 2013 on most forks? Maybe some had it before that? How long have RS been using the red grease?

otb club member
    I've been thinking about this recently. Grease seems like a poor sealant for the piston in an air fork. I would have thought a thick oil would be better. It occurred to me that maybe Rockshox favour thicker grease because their single-air forks have a port in the cylinder wall to allow the upper and lower chambers to equalize and a thinner oil would escape down through it. Just a thought.

Fox Fluid is a lot thinner than the red grease Rockshox use in their forks.
    Assembly lube (like Slick Honey/Super Slick Grease) is different than air piston lube. It's not used in place of it. Assembly lube is used sparingly, designed to help parts go together without binding O-rings, etc. After the assembly, the air piston lube is still added on top of the air piston.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    The PM6000 Military Grease O-Ring Lube which RS lists on their service documentation is thick solid grease.......it clings to the o-rings. Works good and it's cheap compared to Slick Honey
    It works, yet Slick Honey is better. PM6000 is just too sticky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    It works, yet Slick Honey is better. PM6000 is just too sticky.
    Does it migrate to the bottom of a single-air fork though?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Float fluid can actually block the air transfer port on the current solo air forks. Never use anything in the positive air chamber but a grease like slick honey, or it won't correctly equalize pressure in the negative chamber. O rings all get slick honey too.

On the dual air forks you could put a little float fluid on the main piston without harm, but solo air forks don't like this. Do not add any "air piston lube" to a solo air fork, other than a grease like slick honey.

This is specific info for the current solo air forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    Float fluid can actually block the air transfer port on the current solo air forks.
    If that's true surely the red grease could block them as well, as it's a lot thicker than Float Fluid? I would have thought that the air pressure would blow a very thin grease like Float Fluid through the port no problem.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I use slick honey. It is what the RS techs recommend.

mtbr member
    If that's true surely the red grease could block them as well, as it's a lot thicker than Float Fluid? I would have thought that the air pressure would blow a very thin grease like Float Fluid through the port no problem.
    It doesn't block the port, it gets sucked down thru the port into the negative chamber = fork rides like garbage. SLICK HONEY for Solo Air fork pistons peeps! Slick Honey (or equivalent like Super Slick) is formulated rather thin and is compatible with splash oil. Graphite grease... not so much! The fork manufacturer KNOWS what they're talking about!

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - I'm surprised at Chris' answer as he's usually very knowledgeable. I can tell you that I wasted money on RWC's pillow packs floating that fluid on top of the air piston on my Lyrik Solo Air. It all wound up in the negative air chamber! Lesson learned.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    It doesn't block the port, it gets sucked down thru the port into the negative chamber = fork rides like garbage. SLICK HONEY for Solo Air fork pistons peeps! Slick Honey (or equivalent like Super Slick) is formulated rather thin and is compatible with splash oil. Graphite grease... not so much! The fork manufacturer KNOWS what they're talking about!

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - I'm surprised at Chris' answer as he's usually very knowledgeable. I can tell you that I wasted money on RWC's pillow packs floating that fluid on top of the air piston on my Lyrik Solo Air. It all wound up in the negative air chamber! Lesson learned.
    This is correct. For RS forks, do not put oil on the air piston because it will not stay there. Grease it up and you are good to go for a while.

mtbr member
    So is Float Fluid ok for dual-air forks, which don't have the port? That would be ideal as I have a dual-air fork and a bottle of Float Fluid! ;0) Already have dozens of different oils and lubes so avoiding buying another would be nice.

mtbr member
    ^^ No port = it's fine to float fluid on top of piston!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    No port = it's fine to float fluid on top of piston
    Fang queue.

otb club member
    Don't be surprised. I make plenty of mistakes. Yes, the OP mentioned a new SID, so grease only in this case. My excuse is I was directly addressing this statement: "Grease seems like a poor sealant for the piston in an air fork." For any standard piston (one that is actually sealed with no ports, valves, or dimples for equalization), APL helps seal and lubricate and should be used in addition to grease. My point was the grease and APL have different roles.