Vorsprung Suspension
    Oct 2012

Survey - Float shock owners, what pressures are you running?

Interested to hear what pressures people are running in their Float rear shocks (irrespective of whether it's a Float R, RP2, RP23, CTD etc - only looking at the spring rates). What pressure do you run and what length/stroke is your shock? For example, 8.5x2.5, 230psi. Is anyone running pressures in the 250-300psi bracket?
    VorsprungSuspension.com - fully engineered suspension retuning & servicing in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Picked up a spare 8.5x2.5 (low/low), have it @ 180.

Why use that much? seems like it wouldn't have the rebound damping or sag

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve VS View Post
    Interested to hear what pressures people are running in their Float rear shocks (irrespective of whether it's a Float R, RP2, RP23, CTD etc - only looking at the spring rates). What pressure do you run and what length/stroke is your shock? For example, 8.5x2.5, 230psi. Is anyone running pressures in the 250-300psi bracket?
    You may already know this, but you can't really compare shock pressures from bike to bike. Even the same shock with the same rider may need a very different pressure on different frames due to differences in the leverage ratios.

I've run everything from ~130-230 psi on different bikes, all using 7.5 x 2.0 floats. Currently running around 170psi.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Vorsprung Suspension
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    You may already know this, but you can't really compare shock pressures from bike to bike. Even the same shock with the same rider may need a very different pressure on different frames due to differences in the leverage ratios.

I've run everything from ~130-230 psi on different bikes, all using 7.5 x 2.0 floats. Currently running around 170psi.
    I am actually interested entirely from a sealing point of view, nothing to do with the bike's performance, so the main factor under consideration is the peak pressure each seal has to deal with.
    VorsprungSuspension.com - fully engineered suspension retuning & servicing in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    7.5X2 I run 115#,I upped it 15 # after going with needle brgs in place of DU bushings.I weigh in at 180# with gear, Also using the medium volume spacer

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Got it.

You might want to try the Clyde forum for this. Some of those folks need to run pretty high pressures.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.