Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179

    Super soft, bouncy suspension. Any way to fix it?

    Started a new build on an old Banshee Chap frame, and it came with an old Romic D 850# coil shock, and a '05 Manitou Nixon Elite fork. Finally got all the parts on to it, took it out around the streets for a test, and to my displeasure, found the suspension way too soft.

    Looking at what manuals I can find on either part of the suspension, it doesn't look like there is much I can do to increase the stiffness on them via air or coil beyond what they are right now, so I am hoping some of you might have some tips or suggestions (short of buying new parts) to help me out with this.

    I will probably be buying a new fork and shock around Thanksgiving or Christmas time, so anything suggested doesn't have to last a long time. Just trying to find something to do to make this bike more usable for a few rides before the season ends.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,921
    1. in terms of upgrading the suspension in the future, i'd start watching the frame/components market after season wraps up and just replace the frame and fork at the same time - you'll end up out the same amount of money.
    2. if an 850# spring is soft, your shock is blown (unless you are 300#).

    when you say "too soft," what are you sagging at? 30/40/50/60%?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    1. I originally bought the Chap for the purpose of having a beefy AM/FR bike that was also a little more XC friendly then the Sunday I have been using. I am more than happy with the frame, so I wouldn't replace that, but I will keep that idea in mind for the fork and shock for sure.

    2. I remember reading somewhere that Romic coils were tested differently than other coils, so they were rated differently. Something like 600# Romic would equal a 300# RS, approximately. True or not, it still seems way too soft. I am borderline clyde at 195ish, so the spring may be a little weak for my weight, but surely not THAT much, right?

    Sag is actually pretty decent, only like 20-30% front and rear. But by "too soft" i mean, even with sag at an acceptable level, I still just blow through travel, to the point that I am bottoming out by just pedaling. It almost feels like I am on an old pogo stick.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    1. I originally bought the Chap for the purpose of having a beefy AM/FR bike that was also a little more XC friendly then the Sunday I have been using. I am more than happy with the frame, so I wouldn't replace that, but I will keep that idea in mind for the fork and shock for sure.

    2. I remember reading somewhere that Romic coils were tested differently than other coils, so they were rated differently. Something like 600# Romic would equal a 300# RS, approximately. True or not, it still seems way too soft. I am borderline clyde at 195ish, so the spring may be a little weak for my weight, but surely not THAT much, right?

    Sag is actually pretty decent, only like 20-30% front and rear. But by "too soft" i mean, even with sag at an acceptable level, I still just blow through travel, to the point that I am bottoming out by just pedaling. It almost feels like I am on an old pogo stick.
    If the sag is in the ballpark, work on the compression and rebound damping. If the rebound is set really slow you can lose all your travel over repeated bumps.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,921
    I've gotta think that if your sag is right, then the compression cartridge is blown. There is just nothing on the market currently that has such a wide range of adjustment in compression damping settings (ie: bottom at a pedal stroke at the lightest setting)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,696
    How much preload do you have dialed in? If you have more than just a couple turns, then your spring is too soft, even though your sag is correct.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    If the sag is in the ballpark, work on the compression and rebound damping. If the rebound is set really slow you can lose all your travel over repeated bumps.
    It isn't the rebound, I know that much. I will bottom on each pedal stroke and come back up to the sag level before the next stroke. I have tried fooling around with the compression on the fork, but it doesnt seem to do much. It does make it stiffer, but not enough to keep from bottoming.

    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I've gotta think that if your sag is right, then the compression cartridge is blown. There is just nothing on the market currently that has such a wide range of adjustment in compression damping settings (ie: bottom at a pedal stroke at the lightest setting)
    If the compression cartridge is blown, then I guess I don't have much to work with, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    How much preload do you have dialed in? If you have more than just a couple turns, then your spring is too soft, even though your sag is correct.
    The fork doesn't have preload, but I have the shock preloaded a few turns in.



    *Sigh* Maybe the entire suspension is flubbed. Guess I could get some hose clamps to lock the suspension out and ride it as a rigid.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,921
    Hold on, is it the FORK or SHOCK that is bottoming between pedal strokes?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    153
    IF an #850 coil is too soft then your shock is blown, I use a #850 on my bike and its perfect and I weigh 280lbs. An easy way to stiffen your fork just a little is too add a heavier oil like a 15wt. That will help out some unless your fork has blown seals as well. Does a Nixon not have a coil you can swap out for a firm ride?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Hold on, is it the FORK or SHOCK that is bottoming between pedal strokes?
    Both. More the fork than the shock, but both are pretty bad.

Similar Threads

  1. Super soft forks for a 26" bike?
    By Deadly_Kermit in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM
  2. Marzocchi 888 RCV 2007; Super Soft
    By jeremymuskat in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
  3. suspension too soft???
    By Gezzza in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  4. HH100...bouncy, bouncy...
    By Alan in forum Titus
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 03:08 PM
  5. Bouncy but plush super t, boxxer,...????
    By freeriderp2 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •