mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Suntour XCR > XCM > XCT?

From what I understand, these entry level forks rank XCR,XCM,XCT in terms of low end to lower end. I believe the XCR and XCM have thicker tubing(terminology?) so they maybe sturdier and possibly stiffer.

IMO these three are pretty much the same forks. I do notice that the XCT gets no love. The XCM gets some love as an entry fork.
    The XCR seems to get the most love??

Is there a reason for this?
    What makes the XCR noticeably better than the XCM or XCT??

I rode a bike with the XCM and XCR and they seem very similar and it was hard to find any difference in ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    XCR is really similar to the XCM but is a lighter build, which, given the coil, functionally makes them very close. The XCT is almost a hybrid fork. The build is much less dialed, and it isn't really meant for riding where the front wheel spends much time off the ground. That said, yes, they are all similar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    XCR is really similar to the XCM but is a lighter build, which, given the coil, functionally makes them very close. The XCT is almost a hybrid fork. The build is much less dialed, and it isn't really meant for riding where the front wheel spends much time off the ground. That said, yes, they are all similar.
    So the XCR is not as "heavy duty" as the XCM or are you saying that it weighs a bit less?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    same duty, weighs less.

Class Clown
    Internally the xct is very basic just a coil on each side not sure if the others are the same. By comparison a basic rockshox with oil damping is much more sophisticated and works well for offroad use.

mtbr member
    Any of those Suntour forks are not trail-worthy at all. In fact they all have a decal that says not to try anything serious with them, and they're unsuited to much more than a gravel road.

On new bikes in North America, the cheapest fork that has useful dampening and adjustment is typically a Rockshox Recon or Sektor. I did see that Salsa started using some Manitou forks, that is pretty damn cool.

Hardtails with such a fork are just about squeezed out of the market. Most of the time, a hardtail with a RS Recon goes for around $1,300 and then you have a very capable FS bike, the Giant Trance X3, for only $1,550. Hard to not lay out the other $250 when you get the same fork and a highly effective maestro rear suspension.