mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Suntour XCM V3 Build Up Question

Hey everyone,
    I just got a 2011 trek 4500 disc used a couple of months ago and have enjoyed every bit of it. Ever since I got it I have noticed that there is grease that seems to be building up on my front fork. I have searched about this and found some information about it but am worried that mine doesn't fit what I found. Is it normal to have this kind of build up? or should I take it to my local bike shop to check it out. The bike has maybe 100 miles on it. The front fork is a Suntour XCM V3. I have uploaded some pictures to show what I am talking about.

Thanks!

This is after roughly a 13 mile ride.

A picture of what it looks like from a far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah my dad has the same bike. It's a low end fork with junky seals that is designed to take the edge off things and nothing more. I've tried cleaning it and making the seals nice and clean and it just goes back to dirty. I'd just wipe it off and not worry about it.

Former Bike Wrench
    Typical low end fork, the wipers are really only designed to keep large particles out. They're not really seals since the fork doesn't use oil in the lowers. Just wipe it off after rides and if the fork starts to feel stiff you'll probably need to pull the lowers and regrease the bushings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info. I'll just keep riding then!