mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Suntour Raidon Air vs RS XC 32 Coil

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade the fork on my wife's Marlin just to make it tolerable on mild single tracks.

With the Suntour upgrade program, the Raidon is $189. Random bikes has the XC 32 for 167. The Raidon is air while the XC is coil. All other factors seem to be similar.

Do you all have any opinions

mtbr member
    Just be aware that you are going to alter the bike's geometry and it will handle differently.

The Marlin has a 51mm offset fork. Those two have a 46...BUT......you can order an xc32 through a trek dealer and get it G2 (51mm offset) because it comes on the mamba.

If you order a fork online off a regular retailer it will be standard. To order a G2 you "usually" have to order it off ebay or a trek dealer. I know my trek dealer said they could order me a g2 xc 32 for under 200 bucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Just be aware that you are going to alter the bike's geometry and it will handle differently.

The Marlin has a 51mm offset fork. Those two have a 46...BUT......you can order an xc32 through a trek dealer and get it G2 (51mm offset) because it comes on the mamba.

If you order a fork online off a regular retailer it will be standard. To order a G2 you "usually" have to order it off ebay or a trek dealer. I know my trek dealer said they could order me a g2 xc 32 for under 200 bucks.
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder if they could get a Recon Silver in the G2 geometry for a decent price. After more research, the Recon Silver seems to be the best budget fork.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I would say buy the RockShox XC32 fork because it is from a renown brand. Suntour is known (in this day and age), for making terrible forks and other equipment. If you can afford a Recon Silver, then I would say go for that. I have that fork on my Cobia, and it is a great fork for the money.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I would say buy the RockShox XC32 fork because it is from a renown brand. Suntour is known (in this day and age), for making terrible forks and other equipment. If you can afford a Recon Silver, then I would say go for that. I have that fork on my Cobia, and it is a great fork for the money.
    That is not 100% true. Suntour make a number of low end forks that many large manufacturers ask for to fit to there lower end bikes. Suntour also make some very good high end forks. see here

The Raidon is a good fork for the price.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 07-26-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Cow Clicker
    I would PM Nick at Suntour about the G2 geometry. And Suntour is known around the world for having excellent forks on bikes of people who win important races.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member

Re: Suntour Raidon Air vs RS XC 32 Coil

I contacted suntour for this reason, they have none of their good forks in g2 spec.

Also your going to really want to keep the g2 forks.

If your not worried about the change in handling as its not a huge change to a casual rider then go the Raidon. Otherwise xc32tk g2 is going to work out well enough for what your after.

I know all this from experience, I hated the stock forks horribly on my marlin so i had lbs (at a heavy discount) get me a set of xc32tk g2 (ordered as replacement fork for Mamba). They work good enough for me for now and I'm a clyde, though I did order with firm spring set preinstalled.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I contacted suntour for this reason, they have none of their good forks in g2 spec.

Also your going to really want to keep the g2 forks.

If your not worried about the change in handling as its not a huge change to a casual rider then go the Raidon. Otherwise xc32tk g2 is going to work out well enough for what your after.

I know all this from experience, I hated the stock forks horribly on my marlin so i had lbs (at a heavy discount) get me a set of xc32tk g2 (ordered as replacement fork for Mamba). They work good enough for me for now and I'm a clyde, though I did order with firm spring set preinstalled.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    You guys must have a good bike shop. My shop told me they could order the XC 32 for 215 and the Recon Silver for 347. Plus, they can only get them in black which isn't a big deal but I like the marlin color scheme. I could order both of those shoxs way cheaper from random bike parts, price point, or ebay.

What?
    Manitou uses a 48mm off set and offers much higher performance than any fork listed in this thread. 48 is a good middle ground off set

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Currently, I ride a GT Avalanche 1.0 with a Tora 302. For XC in Kentucky, I can ride that thing as hard as I want (trail riding on Florida roots tore my rear wheel apart, but that's another story). I would like to build the Marlin so that it has similar specs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, I ended up deciding on the Manitou Tower Pro. For the money, it seems like the best deal, and it has the most similar offset to a G2 fork. I also ordered a new Fulcrum Red Power XL wheel with 15 qr to go with it. Hopefully, I'll have a pretty respectable setup with these upgrades and some BB7s.

Thanks for all the help.

What?
    You made a good and a bad choice. Your wife will love the fork, and you will keep and enjoy it for years. Thats the good news.

The bad news is, your wifes fork is a lot better than your Tora, and after a riding her Marlin, you are going to want to buy one for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    You made a good and a bad choice. Your wife will love the fork, and you will keep and enjoy it for years. Thats the good news.

The bad news is, your wifes fork is a lot better than your Tora, and after a riding her Marlin, you are going to want to buy one for yourself.
    Luckily, she is only an inch shorter than me with the same inseam. So, we got the 17.5 which I can still fit comfortably on. I can't say that I didn't do some of this by design...