mtbr member
    Jul 2011

suggestions on rear shock

I own a 2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL full suspension. The stock rear suspension is a Fox float RP 2, it has two settings open and pro-peddle along with rebound. While I do a decent amount of off-roading, I also do an equal amount of riding on a bike path, getting to the off-road trail (10 miles each way). While on the bike path itís in pro-peddle with fast rebound, this seems to be working okay although I would prefer a lockout. I see on the new Trek Superfly 100 AL it now comes with a Rock Shox Monarch RL w/rebound and lockout. I did a quick search I see is around $200 I'm not a hard-core rider so I don't need high-endÖ mid to low is good enough for me, as long as it works. On my current shock I do like the open and pro-peddle feature. Does anybody know on the Rock Shox when not locked is it more pro-peddle or open? I know there are other shocks that have all three features, locked, open and pro-peddle but that might be exceeding my budget.

Appreciate any suggestions on the Rock Shox or any other shock.

What?
    If your trying to save money, check out this shock:

Manitou Radium Expert Air Shock 2012 at Price Point

Performance will be very good, (not as good as a fox but not to far behind) has a stiff lock out setting and full open setting. Seems to be what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The rp2 is a good shock for offroad. I would suggest just upping the air pressure 50-75 lbs when you're doing a road ride and dropping it back down for offroad. Takes a few minutes but can save quite a bit.