Stuck Rebound Knob on Fox Forx Float 100 (2003 model)

I replaced the seals, replaced the o-rings, changed the oil, and lubed the internals of my Fox Forx Float 100RL today and encountered a problem after I got it all back together. My rebound knob was stuck. I came here and did some searches (also on Google) and I didn't really find any authoritative ways to fix this, but I did find plenty of cases where people broke the shaft and the knob began to spin freely. Yeah, I didn't want that.

I went back into the garage a little dejected but I got the gears working. I started poking around with the fork and started disassembling the right leg of my fork to see if anything came to me. I removed the rebound and lockout knobs, and as I began to unthread the top cap, I noticed that the rebound adjuster shaft began to rotate along with the rest of the assembly. It hadn't been doing that before.

I grabbed the knob, and put it on the shaft, and sure enough it was free to turn again. I began to retighten the assembly and sure enough, that shaft stopped rotating after a couple turns. Ahah! That's what happened. So I loosened the shaft with the knob a few turns and finished tightening everything down. Once I did that, everything worked just fine again.

So in short, if your rebound knob gets stuck, loosen the whole assembly (you know, the one that requires the 26mm socket/wrench) until the rebound shaft begins to rotate with everything else. Once you get to that point, put the rebound knob on, turn counterclockwise a few rotations, and then tighten everything back down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice to see someone have a problem and with a little detective work, find the solution

on my 3rd wind...
    My 03 Float rebound knob pops up to no rebound position during ride. Rebound knob does work like it's suppose to but it just spins and spins when I turn it in cw (full rebound) direction. I think my thread on the rebound shaft or its rebound damper is stripped. Once I adjust the rebound to my liking, I just put an electrical tape over the knob to keep it from popping up.
    sth

mtbr member
    My rebound knob was stuck when I put my 06 f100 back together a few days ago also. I searched the net and found that hamfisting the shaft was the way to go. I put a set of locking needle nose on it and turned it in, clockwise and it broke free and is working again. But nice to see someone actually found the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonRacing1
    My rebound knob was stuck when I put my 06 f100 back together a few days ago also. I searched the net and found that hamfisting the shaft was the way to go. I put a set of locking needle nose on it and turned it in, clockwise and it broke free and is working again. But nice to see someone actually found the problem.
    I found too many reports of broken shafts from hamfisting for my comfort level. I'm glad to have learned why the knob got stuck and found a little bit more elegant way to solve the problem.

mtbr member
    I have a similar problem with my 2008 Fox Float RL fork as you had with your 2003 model. The Rebound knob is stuck, I was hoping you could give me some help.

Alright. I took apart the RL Dampening rod today, changed the oil in the right leg check the seals etc. When I pulled the entire dampening rod out it seemed like the rebound knob wanted to turn freely. When I put it back together with new oil, the rebound was locked again. I put air in the fork and cycled the oil a few times, rebound knob still locked..but the rebound speed seemed to be back to normal.

I searched online and found a few reports of people turning their rebound knob with needlenose pliers. It has worked for about half of the people and has broken the shaft for about the other half of the people

If anyone has used the needlenose method and has had it worked, please give your procedure (was the shaft screwed into the fork lower or was it completely free, was their oil in the fork or not, air in the fork or not, upper screwed in or not, etc)

Thanks,

Josh

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Have you tried what NateHawk suggested?

mtbr member
    ^Yes, but just by simply pulling the assembly out the rebound is not turning for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You said when the whole assembly was pulled out it turned freely. Backtrack to there, and then slowly reassemble the fork, and find at which point the rebound knob starts to bind, and that should tell you the culprit.

mtbr member
    ^alright, I will give that a shot. It didn't turn freely until I had removed it completely, so I will see what I can find. Thanks!