Christoph NorCal
    Jan 2004

Stuck Chris King bearing cap on fork

Hello,

I am trying to remove my 2008 XC 800 TST 2 fork from my 2002 Isis Ellsworth frame. It appears that the chris king bearing cap is frozen on the steering tube. I've tried tapping the steering tube with a metal hammer and also putting liquid wrench on the bearing cap -- no go. I even went to my LBS and they were unable to get the fork off. Any suggestions besides hitting it with a sledge hammer

I want to salvage the fork because I am sending it to Marzocchi for service. Last time the fork was serviced was Sept 2010 so the fork has been on the frame just under 3 years.
    CC

Climb, climb, climb, work harder suffer less....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ccastro View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to remove my 2008 XC 800 TST 2 fork from my 2002 Isis Ellsworth frame. It appears that the chris king bearing cap is frozen on the steering tube. I've tried tapping the steering tube with a metal hammer and also putting liquid wrench on the bearing cap -- no go. I even went to my LBS and they were unable to get the fork off. Any suggestions besides hitting it with a sledge hammer

I want to salvage the fork because I am sending it to Marzocchi for service. Last time the fork was serviced was Sept 2010 so the fork has been on the frame just under 3 years.
    The "Gripnut" under the stem? Should just have an o-ring that contacts the steer tube.

Christoph NorCal
    Jan 2004
    I finally removed the stuck Chris King bearing cap. I use a Dremel tool with the 195 high speed cutter and 9911 Tungsten carbide cutter. I cut a nice vertical slot into the bearing cap being careful not to hit the bearing or fork tube. Once I had a nice slot open up I use a wide blade screw driver and gave it a few whacks from the side. That broke the bearing cap loose and the fork came out.
    CC

Climb, climb, climb, work harder suffer less....