mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Stratos Helix Expert Coil Size (spring compatibility?)

I've got a Stratos Helix Expert rear shock on my Schwinn 4-banger with an unknown spring rate. It's just too soft. I've pumped up the air spring to 200+ psi and it still isn't enough.

Does anyone know what springs are compatible with this shock? What's the spring ID for the common brands like Fox, Rock Shox, etc?

I'd like to get something in the 700 lbs x 2.25 range...anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Listing of shocks' coil spring diameters 1.25" ID. With the added air pressure you will run a softer spring. Don't know what you have now, your weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    Listing of shocks' coil spring diameters 1.25" ID. With the added air pressure you will run a softer spring. Don't know what you have now, your weight?
    That thread is golden, thanks...exactly what I was looking for.

I'm about 245 lbs...I figure I'd need an 800-850 lb spring with a normal (coil only) shock. (6" travel acting on 2" stroke shock)

I'll try a 700 lb spring and see how it works with the air assist. Unfortunately, the spring I currently have only says "Stratos" on it. It's progressively wound too, which means I'm sitting somewhere between 25% and 50% sag which I don't like either.