Thread: Strata Shock?

May the Force be with you

Strata Shock?

What year is this shock and what happened to the company? Where they a good shock?

Thanks

Pic of shock

Elitest thrill junkie
    Stratos made it. Year...I don't know.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Former Bike Wrench
    Pretty common in the mid to late 90's...seen on lots of Y-Bikes

They were considered a competitor to the Fox Alps and later Vanilla Air (no called the Float)...but of course Fox is still around and they aren't so....

Might want to post in the "Vintage" forums to get more info

John Galt
    Was searching for Stratos and found this now-old thread. I think Stratos went under within the last year or two.

It looks like that shock is on a DBR V8, so that's a 1998 model. It is original to that bike and was a very nice air shock. I owned a few different Stratos shocks (Strata Sport Coil, Stratos Helix Pro and Helix Expert), and found them to be great shocks. The only reason I don't have them now if because I sold those bikes. I have never ridden the Strata Pro air shock, but I do know that the V8 model was under 25 pounds with that shock, which was a pretty HUGE deal for a FS bike in 1998.

The Helix shocks are excellent coil/air shocks with a nice plush feel, relatively light weight and tons of adjustability (especially the pro, which has a lockout).

Is that V8 your bike? There's an article on my site (below) showing how MBA built one to 20.5 pounds. Not bad...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover

The Helix shocks are excellent coil/air shocks with a nice plush feel, relatively light weight and tons of adjustability (especially the pro, which has a lockout).
    The helix expert/pro is ok, but better suited for falling-rate type bikes. The combination of the air spring + the progressively wound coil made for way too much progression, and it was a little too harsh because it ramped up way too fast on a bike that wasn't excessively falling rate or linear.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The helix expert/pro is ok, but better suited for falling-rate type bikes. The combination of the air spring + the progressively wound coil made for way too much progression, and it was a little too harsh because it ramped up way too fast on a bike that wasn't excessively falling rate or linear.
    Also, Stratos tried to use the same 500lb progressive spring for everybody (on the helix expert/pro) and told people to use the air pressure to set the sag. This was a terrible idea that lead to a crappy ride. However, once you got the spring rate correct (not using the air) you could adjust the air spring to get good mid and end stroke performance. On the right bike, it was a really nice shock. There are some reports on the web talking about taking them apart and such. Should be easy to fix if you have any problems.

what a bike this old sell for? I have a small frame with a sid shock on it.

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalchico
    What year is this shock and what happened to the company? Where they a good shock?

Thanks
    I believe they were crushed by Special Ed

stratos sued and out of business...

Quote Originally Posted by cegrover View Post
    Was searching for Stratos and found this now-old thread. I think Stratos went under within the last year or two.

It looks like that shock is on a DBR V8, so that's a 1998 model. It is original to that bike and was a very nice air shock. I owned a few different Stratos shocks (Strata Sport Coil, Stratos Helix Pro and Helix Expert), and found them to be great shocks. The only reason I don't have them now if because I sold those bikes. I have never ridden the Strata Pro air shock, but I do know that the V8 model was under 25 pounds with that shock, which was a pretty HUGE deal for a FS bike in 1998.

Is that V8 your bike? There's an article on my site (below) showing how MBA built one to 20.5 pounds. Not bad...

Thanks again for all the info, your site was very helpful