mtbr member

Stiff shock in cold weather

I have a Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 fork that I got with my bike this spring (so less than 1 year old). I started a ride with temps around 45-50 degrees but ending just under 40 degrees. I had to stop for 20 minutes to deal with a mechanical near the end of the ride. (when temps were low 40s/upper 30s). When starting up again, I noticed that the front shock was really slow and stiff. It didn't improve during the remainder of the ride. I am assuming that at those temps, the oil gets thicker and doesn't flow as well. I opened the dampers all the way but it didn't help much. I am not sure how much the shock had already stiffened before stopping to fix the mechanical (in other words, did constant shock motion prior to that keep the oil warmer?) but wonder whether there is anything to do to keep the shock from getting so stiff in cold temps. Can lighter weight oil be used? If so, which? If changing the oil will fix it, is that the oil in the upper leg (damper) or in the lower leg that is most important?

Have other people seen this dramatic effect with the RCT3 with the cold? My brother was riding a Fox fork and his didn't stiffen up significantly, despite the identical circumstances.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I have a Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 fork that I got with my bike this spring (so less than 1 year old). I started a ride with temps around 45-50 degrees but ending just under 40 degrees. I had to stop for 20 minutes to deal with a mechanical near the end of the ride. (when temps were low 40s/upper 30s). When starting up again, I noticed that the front shock was really slow and stiff. It didn't improve during the remainder of the ride. I am assuming that at those temps, the oil gets thicker and doesn't flow as well. I opened the dampers all the way but it didn't help much. I am not sure how much the shock had already stiffened before stopping to fix the mechanical (in other words, did constant shock motion prior to that keep the oil warmer?) but wonder whether there is anything to do to keep the shock from getting so stiff in cold temps. Can lighter weight oil be used? If so, which? If changing the oil will fix it, is that the oil in the upper leg (damper) or in the lower leg that is most important?

Have other people seen this dramatic effect with the RCT3 with the cold? My brother was riding a Fox fork and his didn't stiffen up significantly, despite the identical circumstances.

Thanks
    yup...you can get different weights of fork oil....check out a motorcycle shop...

I ride a Fox as well, with the standard oil???form Push it operates down to something like -20C then it sets up pretty hard.