mtbr member

Steer tube too short. Solutions?

Hi - my buddy bought a used Trek (fs) a couple years ago. From what I remember it looks like a mid-2000's XC bike with mid grade (2k range) components. Anyways, we were talking through text last night and I mentioned going for a ride in a few weeks when the snow melts. He told me he can't ride because the steer tube on his fork is too short and he needs to get a new one. I don't know the bike or fork model off hand but I figured I would check in here to get general opinions.

Apparently he sent the fork into Rock Shox for warranty service through his LBS (unrelated to steer tube length). When the fork came back the mechanic said that there was no way he was putting the fork back on that bike and couldn't believe my buddy had been riding it like that. He said he has used all the spacers he can and the fork has barely enough material in the head tube to even stay in place...never mind be ridden on rough terrain.

Are there any safe solutions for this or will he have to pony up the dough and buy a new fork? Also, this is the kind of stuff that makes me weary about buying used bikes. I would never think to pull the fork off and make sure the steer tube was the correct length.

Thanks
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Hi - my buddy bought a used Trek (fs) a couple years ago. From what I remember it looks like a mid-2000's XC bike with mid grade (2k range) components. Anyways, we were talking through text last night and I mentioned going for a ride in a few weeks when the snow melts. He told me he can't ride because the steer tube on his fork is too short and he needs to get a new one. I don't know the bike or fork model off hand but I figured I would check in here to get general opinions.

Apparently he sent the fork into Rock Shox for warranty service through his LBS (unrelated to steer tube length). When the fork came back the mechanic said that there was no way he was putting the fork back on that bike and couldn't believe my buddy had been riding it like that. He said he has used all the spacers he can and the fork has barely enough material in the head tube to even stay in place...never mind be ridden on rough terrain.

Are there any safe solutions for this or will he have to pony up the dough and buy a new fork? Also, this is the kind of stuff that makes me weary about buying used bikes. I would never think to pull the fork off and make sure the steer tube was the correct length.

Thanks
    New fork or CSU. Lower stack HS or stem offer mm's of extra spacing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Your story doesn't make sense.
    The mechanic would use LESS spacers....not "all" or more....for a short steerer.
    Sounds like you have a small piece of a bigger story

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Your story doesn't make sense.
    The mechanic would use LESS spacers....not "all" or more....for a short steerer.
    Sounds like you have a small piece of a bigger story

Hmmm...I must be missing part of the story. I also don't know much at all about servicing/installing forks. He said "I have no more spacers". Maybe he meant that as in he couldn't use any spacers and not that he couldn't use any MORE spacers.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Steer tube too short. Solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Hmmm...I must be missing part of the story. I also don't know much at all about servicing/installing forks. He said "I have no more spacers". Maybe he meant that as in he couldn't use any spacers and not that he couldn't use any MORE spacers.
    You use spacers when the steer tube is too long.

Adding spacers to a too short steerer is like cutting more off of a 2x4 because it is too short.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yah there is something missing here we need pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sometimes a picture is very useful. Get one with the fork mounted with the stem on it without any spacers. No cap. If he has ridden it for 2+ years .....