mtbr member
    Oct 2005

steer tube spacer under bearing race/head tube?

I have an Iron Horse warrior w/ a RS Reba SL @ 115mm. This bike comes spec'ed w/ this fork and travel in their 'Elite' model, but all other models come w/ a 120 or 130mm fork.

To me, the bike feels twitchy and that i'm too far over the front wheel. i think i would like a slacker head tube angle.

I hae the goofy idea to install a steerer tube spacer under the bearing race on the steerer tube.. this would increase the fork's length basically and raise up the front of the bike a bit. maybe a 3 or 5mm spacer i'm thinking..

A) is this retarded? :P it'd be aluminum so itd be a semi maliable metal. not like carbon fiber thatd simply explode under compression. If it did snap and fall apart, id instantly have 5m of slop on the steering tube. itd definately be an 'oh ****' moment, but i dont think i'd lose control, etc.

B) how much would i have to raise the front to notice a difference? tis a 21" frame..

C) anyone want to trade my freshly rebuilt Reba w/ Enduro seals for a Revelation?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What head set do you have?

Chris King has different thickness crown races available to give you a little bit of extra height. You may want to look into a new head set with a larger stack height. But be careful before you buy and check and make sure you have enough steerer tube length.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ah, now thats a good idea..

the one i have is a crane creek 1.5-1.25" reducer set. hrmm

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan
    I hae the goofy idea to install a steerer tube spacer under the bearing race on the steerer tube.. this would increase the fork's length basically and raise up the front of the bike a bit. maybe a 3 or 5mm spacer i'm thinking..
    The steerer tube's diameter increases slightly near the crown in order to create a good interference fit with the crown race. If you were to place a spacer between the crown and crown race, I think you'd wind up with some play between the race and steerer tube. You may be able to devise some sort of shim to eliminate this play, but I don't think it's worth it because I doubt that you'll notice much difference in your bike's handling by raising the front end only 3-5mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I could go w/ an 8mm...

From what i remember the wider part toward the bottom was a good 3/4" long. i think a spacer and race would both fit in the thickened area.. or i coudl be dreaming that up, but thats what i was counting on

Just another FOC'er
    Ventana makes extended lower crown races that work with CK headsets.

7mm version -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Ventana makes extended lower crown races that work with CK headsets.

7mm version -

^^^
    That's money - I like it!!
    You could also add an old crown race to increase the distance. (a pretty dodgy mod)
    Remember adding 25mm A2C = 1digree change in the HT angle = noticeable change in handling

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    3mm 5mm isn't going to do the trick. You should look into a fork w/ taller a-c height. 20-25mm = about 1degree HA change.