mtbr member
    Jul 2014

SR Suntour Epicon TR not getting full extension

I'm new with air forks.

I have a Giant Trance 27.5 4 and I've noticed that the forks are not getting full extension after I added air pressure in the forks. When I lift the front up, I have to push the lowers down a bit to extend it by half an inch. Is this normal or does it need more air?

Also, the forks are supposed to give 5.5 inches of travel but only 4.25 inches of the stanchions are showing. More air?

mtbr member
    Search of Suntour parts breakdowns reveal absolutely nothing. Nice videos, though. Anyway, all forks will have a top-out spring or bumper. Some are adjustable like the RockShox dual-air; most are not. Matters not, the ultimate travel is not as important as the feel. More air may decrease the top-out distance but blow the sag. Counter-productive. Put the amount of air that works best, which will usually result in 20 to 30 percent sag. More air may give you full extension at the cost of a really poor handling bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    More air may give you full extension at the cost of a really poor handling bike.
    I see. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have the same forks although on a different bike and I'm having the same issue. My forks are currently running 100psi and the fork stanchions only physically measure 135 ish. If I inflate them to 150psi + the stanchions physically measure over 140mm! So frustrating!

I haven't come across anyone else having this issue and I've done a fair bit of googling! Looks like it may be an Epicon trait after all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I asked this question myself on different post (Epicon XC), yeah I guess this is normal after I watched a Youtube video about sag setting. He used Fox fork and it also showing an increase of 5mm as he pumps in more PSI. The only thing that wasn't clear enough to me was because he didn't lift the bike to let me see if that diminished 5mm was due to handlebar+stem weight. Since no one responded to my post, I had to try it myself with Manitou R7 on different bike, the result was the same. Somehow @ 30%+, part of the stanchions' length got eaten up or "stiction effect caused by the dust seal". What tyrebyter said is spot on. My early frustation was that I paid for 120MM travel but instead will get 110-115M travel fork depends on weather after adjusting it, lol. This situation may also takes effect due to bike angle (AM vs XC race).