Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541

    SR Suntour Epicon a good shock for $200?

    I've got an Airborne SkyHawk and love it. I'm wanting to in-expensively reduce weight and make it an even better bike. I'm wanting to upgrade the wheels and fork as this is the best place to reduce weight. Is this SR Suntour Epicon a good deal or can I get a better/lighter fork for the same amount of money? I'm not really wanting to spend more than $250 as I don't need much of a shock in Florida. But this one should cut my weight in half compared to the stock XCM.
    2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    690
    Manitou Match is a much better fork that weights about 1lb less then your current fork but about 1lb more than the Epicon.

    But honestly, you're upgrading a $350 bike. What you should do is sell that bike on craigslist. Then take the money you get from that along with what you were going to spend on a fork and wheels then buy a better used bike. You can get a drastically better bike for less than $1000 shipped to your door.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cobra8d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    296
    The Epicon is a good fork, much better than the entry level Manitou suggested above. I have a 2011 model (basically the 2012 13 X2) on my Diamondback Recoil. Is it the best fork out there probably not, my other 2 bikes have a 2011 Fox Talas RLC FIT and 2012 RS Revelation Dual air RLT with motion control DNA, but the Epicon can hold its own against those 2 at third of the cost.

    If you like your Skyhawk go for it you wont regret it, though I would also look on Ebay for the Epicon X1 for about the same price this model comes with a hollow crown (weight reduction) and a newer damping cartridge (better bump sensitivity and adjust-ability)

    My recoil
    Who has the baddest Entry-Level Bike?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    The Epicon is a good fork, much better than the entry level Manitou suggested above. I have a 2011 model (basically the 2012 13 X2) on my Diamondback Recoil. Is it the best fork out there probably not, my other 2 bikes have a 2011 Fox Talas RLC FIT and 2012 RS Revelation Dual air RLT with motion control DNA, but the Epicon can hold its own against those 2 at third of the cost.
    I completely disagree with this. I've owned a 2011 Epicon and currently own a '11 Reba and a '11 Rev. My friend has a 100mm match that I'm quite familiar with. The Epicon has no true comp damper, no ability to add platform and uses a basic rebound damper. Not only that but the damper comes sealed from the factory so forget oil changes for normal user. The advantage that Epicon holds over the match is that it's air, lighter and has a wider travel adjustment range because it's air.

    I honestly can't believe you even suggested that the epicon is a better fork unless the person absolutely needs air.

  5. #5
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    The Epicon is a good fork, much better than the entry level Manitou suggested above. I have a 2011 model (basically the 2012 13 X2) on my Diamondback Recoil. Is it the best fork out there probably not, my other 2 bikes have a 2011 Fox Talas RLC FIT and 2012 RS Revelation Dual air RLT with motion control DNA, but the Epicon can hold its own against those 2 at third of the cost.

    If you like your Skyhawk go for it you wont regret it, though I would also look on Ebay for the Epicon X1 for about the same price this model comes with a hollow crown (weight reduction) and a newer damping cartridge (better bump sensitivity and adjust-ability)

    My recoil
    Who has the baddest Entry-Level Bike?

    This is a ridiculous statement. A Manitou Match has one of the best dampers made(and is fully tuneable). Better then you will find in most forks that cost double to triple the price. It is also backed by a company with some of the best customer service in the industry. It going to perform much better than the an Epicon which has one of the simplest dampers available with average performance at best.

  6. #6
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Thanks for the replies. That Manitou Match is not going to save me too much in weight. Since I don't need much of a fork for the Florida XC I ride would the lighter Epicon be ok? Any others around this price range that are lighter?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rockshox sektor solo air tk off eBay for $230. Right around 4.0lbs before cutting.

  8. #8
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    But honestly, you're upgrading a $350 bike. What you should do is sell that bike on craigslist. Then take the money you get from that along with what you were going to spend on a fork and wheels then buy a better used bike. You can get a drastically better bike for less than $1000 shipped to your door.
    Kan3, can you please comment on this more and provide a link to a used bike you have in mind? I haven't been able to find a used or new bike that could come close to touching the price/quality of an Airborne. I would have gotten a goblin but I am new to this sport and wanted to make sure I was going to stick with before spending too much up front. Well I fell in love with the sport and don't regret the SkyHawk. I want to get to know the 26" before upgrading to 29". I also want to use this bike to continue teaching myself bike mechanics. But if you can show me how to get a better bike for less than upgrading this one i would appreciate seeing one/some. I've looked but haven't found any that were not way over priced. Now that Airborne doesn't sell this SkyHawk anymore I've been offered $400 for mine but I love it so much I turned that down.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    470

    SR Suntour Epicon a good shock for $200?

    I think it will be a good upgrade. The raidon is a step down and I like it a lot, plus I've seen good reviews on the epicon. So honestly it's up to you if you want to buy it or choose something else
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    If you haven't seen this already.. here's a review of the Epicon - If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

  11. #11
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Thanks... I actually ordered it last night. It was on sale for $190
    2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike New | eBay

  12. #12
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Now I need a shock pump and star nut. Any recommendations?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Thanks... I actually ordered it last night. It was on sale for $190
    2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike New | eBay
    Wow. I should have checked eBay. I got the same fork from Amazon (same seller) but his Amazon price is $30 higher.

    SR Suntour Epicon a good shock for 0?-njveb7fn2pzsj9o75rdgcjdfz26mzqdfinbvueb0qeu.jpg

    More pix of my bike here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s50oztmw4nzejsr/RuejsLm3BO

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Now I need a shock pump and star nut. Any recommendations?
    I bought this..

    Amazon.com: Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Bike Pump: Sports & Outdoors

    I like the fact that there is a "bleeder" valve so you don't loose any air when unscrewing the pump. Check YouTube for reviews/how-to. So far I like it.

    As for the star nut.. any LBS should be able to sell you one.

  15. #15
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Thanks.. I'll have to get that ordered next.

    PS that shock looks good on your bike. It will be half the weight of the one on mine now. I saw it on Amazon too. I have been emailing them through eBay with questions and they have been very helpful. When I got all my questions answered and went to order it was 5% off.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Kan3, can you please comment on this more and provide a link to a used bike you have in mind? I haven't been able to find a used or new bike that could come close to touching the price/quality of an Airborne. I would have gotten a goblin but I am new to this sport and wanted to make sure I was going to stick with before spending too much up front. Well I fell in love with the sport and don't regret the SkyHawk. I want to get to know the 26" before upgrading to 29". I also want to use this bike to continue teaching myself bike mechanics. But if you can show me how to get a better bike for less than upgrading this one i would appreciate seeing one/some. I've looked but haven't found any that were not way over priced. Now that Airborne doesn't sell this SkyHawk anymore I've been offered $400 for mine but I love it so much I turned that down.
    Sorry, didn't see your post. What state do you live in?

  17. #17
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Florida.

  18. #18
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Thanks... I actually ordered it last night. It was on sale for $190
    2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike New | eBay
    Wow, I ordered this last Friday and it was at my house on Tuesday from Taiwan. I didn't
    Get it until today because I had to sign for it. Still haven't opened the box but it looks to be packaged well and in great shape.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    It will be half the weight of the one on mine now.
    Yes, you will notice the weight difference right away. But it also performs and transforms the bike for the better.

  20. #20
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Looking forward to that. I'll post a pic and review when I get a chance to try them. Took them out of the box last night. Looked perfect. If they work when I get them on I will be most impressed with this ebay/internet company. I'm still waiting on a Star Nut before I can put them on.

    Eric, I'm going to send you a PM about your 1x9 conversion. I'm getting ready to do that too. Your's looks nice.

  21. #21
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Wow! I put this fork on today and what a difference. I can't even explain it. This is an amazing improvement and for only $189 for the Fork and $30 for a shock pump and $3 for a star nut. All other parts of the bike transferred perfectly. I've never done this before and couldn't believe how easy it was to install. I used a flat blade screw driver to gently remove the crown race from the old fork. Suntour puts a slot at the bottom of the Race so a screw driver can be slipped in. I bought a $3 piece of 1 1/4" Thick Walled PVC pipe to knock the race onto the new fork. Worked perfectly... glad I didn't buy an expensive tool for this. I used Zinn's ghetto method of using the Headset end cap and screw to knock the star nut into the fork. The front of the bike is so light and nimble. Going to build lighter, better wheels next.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    470

    SR Suntour Epicon a good shock for $200?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Wow! I put this fork on today and what a difference. I can't even explain it. This is an amazing improvement and for only $189 for the Fork and $30 for a shock pump and $3 for a star nut. All other parts of the bike transferred perfectly. I've never done this before and couldn't believe how easy it was to install. I used a flat blade screw driver to gently remove the crown race from the old fork. Suntour puts a slot at the bottom of the Race so a screw driver can be slipped in. I bought a $3 piece of 1 1/4" Thick Walled PVC pipe to knock the race onto the new fork. Worked perfectly... glad I didn't buy an expensive tool for this. I used Zinn's ghetto method of using the Headset end cap and screw to knock the star nut into the fork. The front of the bike is so light and nimble. Going to build lighter, better wheels next.
    That's looking great man, glad to hear how good that fork is too. Anyways keep riding It hard .
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Wow! I put this fork on today and what a difference. I can't even explain it. This is an amazing improvement and for only $189 for the Fork and $30 for a shock pump and $3 for a star nut. All other parts of the bike transferred perfectly. I've never done this before and couldn't believe how easy it was to install. I used a flat blade screw driver to gently remove the crown race from the old fork. Suntour puts a slot at the bottom of the Race so a screw driver can be slipped in. I bought a $3 piece of 1 1/4" Thick Walled PVC pipe to knock the race onto the new fork. Worked perfectly... glad I didn't buy an expensive tool for this. I used Zinn's ghetto method of using the Headset end cap and screw to knock the star nut into the fork. The front of the bike is so light and nimble. Going to build lighter, better wheels next.
    Looks good! Nice job with the install tool. I tackled most of the install/upgrades on the bike myself except for the fork install. I chickened out when it was time to cut it.. so I took it to the LBS. LOL.

  24. #24
    Captain Climber
    Reputation: Jem7sk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    541
    Thanks SBF12!

    Eric, I forgot to mention tha I bought this tool:
    MAGBIT 801.114C MAG801 Tube Cutter Copper/EMT 1/8-Inch - 1-1/4-Inch Cut - Amazon.com
    It made quick, easy and accurate work out of cutting the steerer tube.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Hey what's your fork air pressure set at? I noticed we are around the same weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Suntour Epicon
    By bikeRider88 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 09:33 PM
  2. Suntour Epicon 29 review
    By tailwaters in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM
  3. Suntour Epicon 29r Fork
    By tailwaters in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
  4. Anyone familiar with the Suntour Epicon RLD?
    By Solomon76 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
  5. HELP: Suntour Epicon?
    By juancho142 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •