mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Squishy sound from Monarch 4.2

I have a Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 and its started to make that notable "squishy" sound when being compressed. It happens on the trails and even manually compressed just by pushing down on the seat. I see this has been posted but never given a clear and definitive answer/solution.

Is this a bad thing?? IMO there is no change in the performance of the shock. I have seen people comment that it is air bubbles in the oil. I really do not want to send it in to be rebuilt as I just purchased a new fork.

"El Whatever"
    It will not self destruct if you ride it for a while like this, but definitively that means "service".

Air bubbles in the oil is "cavitation" and that is not good. At the very least represents a loss of performance.

Get the parts and rebuild it yourself. A complete rebuild kit runs for around 35 bucks and follow RS instructions on youtube for a Monarch Rebuild.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to Hi-jack this thread.. but I do have the same issue with my Tora TK 29. Anyone - can point me to the right direction on how to go about servicing my fork. Parts and guides.. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    It will not self destruct if you ride it for a while like this, but definitively that means "service".

Air bubbles in the oil is "cavitation" and that is not good. At the very least represents a loss of performance.

Get the parts and rebuild it yourself. A complete rebuild kit runs for around 35 bucks and follow RS instructions on youtube for a Monarch Rebuild.

Awesome thanks! Let's hope that will take care of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtep View Post
    Sorry to Hi-jack this thread.. but I do have the same issue with my Tora TK 29. Anyone - can point me to the right direction on how to go about servicing my fork. Parts and guides.. Thanks
    Normal on a fork, not normal on a shock.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Normal on a fork, not normal on a shock.
    It wasn't making any sound before.. so I thought maybe it's due for rebuild. No?