mtbr member
    Mar 2009

something wrong with new domain 318is?

I just switched from a dual air revelation 426 to a 2009 domain 318is u-turn coil, brand new, the fork has sort of a vibration feeling when it is compressed fast and during rebound, it is very very slight, but I can feel it in the handle bars, I haven't taken it on a ride yet this is just putting the brakes on and compressing it, is this how a coil fork feels or is there something wrong like not enough oil in the lowers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindirty4886
    I just switched from a dual air revelation 426 to a 2009 domain 318is u-turn coil, brand new, the fork has sort of a vibration feeling when it is compressed fast and during rebound, it is very very slight, but I can feel it in the handle bars, I haven't taken it on a ride yet this is just putting the brakes on and compressing it, is this how a coil fork feels or is there something wrong like not enough oil in the lowers?
    Need some break-in time. I usually get in a couple short rides then change the semi-bath oil. Put in a dozen or so rides then change all the fluids - cheap insurance to keep the fork running a long time. If the fork feels really notchy , again, changing / checking the semi-bath is no big deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I check and lube any fork before riding (I also rebuild my FS frames from the ground up before riding). It may be overkill, but a two second search on any technical MTB forum would show you user after user that opened up their new forks and found little to no lube (and you will have to do this every month, so you might as well start now).

Pack the seals with slick honey and fill the bath lube, and they will feel MUCH better IME.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yea I think Im gonna get some fork oil and do a oil change just for peace of mind. Never opened up a fork before but Ive read the tech manuals on the sram website and watched some vids on you tube and it looks fairly easy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    You do not need fork oil at this point. The bath oil is all you will need to check (unless the fork had no damping, which is not the case).

For bath oil, you can use heavier weight fork oil (at $9 - 12+ per quart) if you want, or you can use a synthetic motor oil (at about $4 a quart). What you need is lubrication for shearing parts, contaminant isolation, and a viscosity that is thin enough to flow well, but thick enough to coat parts. Motor oils do exactly this.

If you want to buy a specific item for this job, I would recomend some slick honey (grease) for the seals as bearing type greases are too sticky and thick for this use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ok I removed the lower legs, cleaned with alcohol, used 5wt fork oil in the right lower and 15wt in the left lower just like sram says, no difference even though there was very little oil that came out, there seems to be a very slight bit of play where the dust seal is when I hold the brake and rock the bike back and forth, I dont think there is supposed to be any play, WTF this is a brand new fork zero rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Where is the bath oil and how do you check it/change it? sorry not familiar with working on forks but am capable of doing so, it almost sounds like a very light toned honking noise too on rebound with a little vibration. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am getting frustrated, I dont want to send this fork back, but I dont want to have to rebuild it either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindirty4886
    Where is the bath oil and how do you check it/change it?

The bath oil is the 15ml of oil in the lowers. Did you put some lube on the seals? Can you determine where the noise is eminating from? With the lowers off, you can cycle the damper and spring shaft seperately to determine if they are making the noise, or if it is the lowers sliding on the stanchions.

If you can rock the lowers enough to see actual movement/gapping at the seals, something is really wrong with the fork that you wont be able to fix....bushings are out of tollerance, or out of place, or missing....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The lowers dont move enough where I can see it but I can def. feel it, this afternoon I will take the lowers off again and cycle the damper and spring shaft like you said, then re-lube and re-assemble and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Im pretty sure its the damper making the noise, i have the lowers off and when i push the damper in and pull it out it makes the noise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ok would just like to let you know that I re-assembled, used some judy butter that I got from the bike shop, replaced oil, and all is well, super smooth, thanks for your help, the damper was making a funny noise but I think thats because the fork was upside down when I was moving it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

No problem!