Quiet Professional

Some advice needed. Upgrading suspension on reign.

So I have been planning on upgrading my 2011 reign 2 with more travel and now can not make up my mind which way to go. Originally I was going to go fox 36 and dhx 5 air. Now I am looking at RS Monarch PLus rc3 or Vivid Air R2C and a rs lyrik.

If I wen this route I would have to change out my hubs. Another option is going either fox 34 or Pike up front.
    What would you guys suggest? How much stiffer is the 36mm over the 34 or 35? and how much are they really over the 32 on the bike now? Would you mix and match brands or stick to one brand? Is Xfusion an option if I can find them in the states?

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    I would definitely try out the new RS Pike.
    And I would pair it with the dhx 5 air.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The new Pike will hopefully be as good as the old ones. So if you want to keep you 15mm front wheel that would work.

I was surprised when I rented a bike in Moab with a Fox 150mm with 15mm alxe. Although it wasn't as stiff as my Talas 36 it wasn't a wet noodle either. The Fox 34 should be better again, so both valid choices. I like having the 160mm travel up front for technical decents. It all depends on what kind of trails you are riding and how you like you bike to feel.

Haven't even been a fan of the DHX Air on any bike I have tried yet. I would definitely pick the Monarch Plus RC3 over it any day. I have one on my Reign and it works great. Performs better than a tuned RP23 it replaced. It might be a placebo, but the small bump compliance on the Reign felt even better when I added the Enduro needle bearing kit on the upper shock mount. If you want a bike with even better decending capabilities you could try a X-Fusion Vector HLR or a CC DB Air.

Quiet Professional
    Looking at the Pike again , it only accepts up to 200mm rotor. I am running a 203 and not planing on changing. I guess the pike is out.

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    Ahh.......you can get an adapter, I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Looking at the Pike again , it only accepts up to 200mm rotor. I am running a 203 and not planing on changing. I guess the pike is out.
    Im sure they're rounding.. 203mm is extremely common, it would be silly for them to allow a rotor 3mm smaller than the most common size.